what would this recipes be under on mfp?

Options
Amandamccl
Amandamccl Posts: 380
Fancy Hot Dogs Recipe

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp butter (more if needed)
6 standard sized hot dogs (plan 1-2 per
person, or fewer if you are serving kids),
sliced into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick slices
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup of water
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)

1 Melt butter in a large skillet (cast iron
works well for this purpose) on medium
high heat. Add the chopped onions and
sliced hot dogs. Cook, stirring occasionally,
until the onions and the hot dogs are nicely
browned, 5-10 minutes.

2 Add the sour cream and water, stir until
creamy. Heat until steamy.
Serve with cooked egg noodles, elbow
macaroni, or favorite pasta. Sprinkle with
chopped fresh parsley.

Servers 4

Replies

• tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    you may have to enter each ingredient in the recipes section to make your own meal!!!
  • Tayla_Grant
    Tayla_Grant Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    honestly... probably not something that I would want to cook for myself or anyone trying to be healthy. I don't say it to be flip, but I think that maybe using olive oil instead of butter; fresh chicken (add some garlic) instead of hot dogs,; add some veggies and 86 the sour cream. Please don't be insulted, but I've gone down that road before, and it's just No Good. Good luck!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Switch out the sour cream with plain greek yogurt -- that would help a little!

To answer your real question though, just create a recipe and add each inredient on its own.
  • StephanieGraybill
    Options
    Hotdogs in general is a big no-no, if you are trying to lose weight. Also, try to get butter out of your diet! Sour cream isnt as bad, but its like 90 cals for one tbsp!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    honestly... probably not something that I would want to cook for myself or anyone trying to be healthy. I don't say it to be flip, but I think that maybe using olive oil instead of butter; fresh chicken (add some garlic) instead of hot dogs,; add some veggies and 86 the sour cream. Please don't be insulted, but I've gone down that road before, and it's just No Good. Good luck!

I see what you're saying, and I think that if you're eating out or at someone else's house that making every healthy substitution you can is a good idea, but if you're at home and tracking the calories and budgeting for them it won't hurt to have a hot dog every once in a while. Some people are "all or nothing" and that's fine, but I know that if I completely rule out certain foods that I love then I start to feel deprived and end up cheating more.

To the OP: the recipes function on this site is awesome - just enter everything in there (click "Recipes" under the Food tab) and divide it up by servings.
  • rebel9
    rebel9 Posts: 16
    Options
    Use lite sour cream. Daisy brand only has 20 calories per tablespoon, and it still has all of the beneficial cultures that help with digestion (just as many as yogurt, for those of you that don't like the stuff).