Weight Watchers

Options
Anyone doing weight watchers for the meetings and support and tracking calories here not points. If so how's that going?

Replies

• spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers in the past, not currently. I like the ease of tracking calories and I use the forums for nightly support/motivation. If it's working for you that's all that matters :)
  • tenilleless
    tenilleless Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have tried weight watchers 5-6 times and it's got its pros and cons. It was never a good fit for me because it's cons we're in areas I needed the most support in.

Pros:
    great support system with the forums and the meetings
    Accountability is bigger since they will be weighing you no matter what
    Meetings give you tips for the problems coming up (survival guides for holidays)
    Good for finding weight loss buddies if you're in the right age demographic
    No "calorie counting" if you're one of those people who have become too obsessed with *calories*
    Revamped to promote healthy choices, but still lets you eat anything
    Weekly flexible points to give you a buffer if you really wanna eat more than you should
    Fruits and veggies are "free"

Cons:
    You need either their app or their calculator or their books to know how many points something is (!!!!!) even if you get good at eyeballing portions, you don't know if you've gone "over budget"
    Maintenance on their program requires continued use of just their products
    Limited fruits and veggies servings since they were free.
    Those "flex points" don't work for some people, if you eat them you won't lose, but they're always there staring at you
    Lotta built in marketing to buy their stuff
    Some meeting leaders are poorly chosen or not great leaders, you need to be able to shop around for a good group. Small town groups can be horrid.
    The calculators are a pain in the butt
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had great success with WWs when I need to lose my baby weight, and then ten years later, I needed to lose a few pounds and rejoined. I found it expensive, and was not a fan of the current program. However...it definitely works and teaches good lifetime eating habits!
  • blondicj1
    blondicj1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a question about this! I have been successful with many weight loss programs, but what I've learned in the past is my #1 motivator is accountability. I need to have a set time that I have to go and weigh in with someone, and that really motivates me to be good throughout the week. I've tried doing "weigh ins" myself, and even being accountable with my husband and friends, but it just doesn't do it for me. So, what I'm wondering, is if I can sign up for WW just to go to the meetings and have the weigh ins? Do I have to stay for the meeting portion or can I just weigh in and leave?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It will help you lose weight but in my opinion but NOTHING from a box is healthy. If you really want to be healthy just change how you eat and you would be amazed with the results. Try pre making your meals for a week. In my opinion any company that charges you a membership to sell you crap from a box and give you advise doesn't really have your health or best interest in mind. Just my humble opinion of course. I have plenty of recipes and ideas if you are interested. These types of communities are the best way to go. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. Feel free to add me and message me for recipes and workouts. The world is your gym so get out there!!
  • jame0529
    jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    blondicj1 wrote: »
    I have a question about this! I have been successful with many weight loss programs, but what I've learned in the past is my #1 motivator is accountability. I need to have a set time that I have to go and weigh in with someone, and that really motivates me to be good throughout the week. I've tried doing "weigh ins" myself, and even being accountable with my husband and friends, but it just doesn't do it for me. So, what I'm wondering, is if I can sign up for WW just to go to the meetings and have the weigh ins? Do I have to stay for the meeting portion or can I just weigh in and leave?

You can definitely just weight in and leave, but I highly recommend trying a meeting or 2. I always leave so inspired and motivated for the week! Good luck!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    blondicj1 wrote: »

you can leave, but its pretty pricey if all you are using it for is the weigh ins
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am currently on WW, lost 60 pounds last year, got to goal and now maintaining. I started working out last month, and in terms of WW points, I have no idea how much more to eat given my increased activity (and WW actually is not good at giving advice on this) so I just started double tracking points and calories here. It's more work, but I get a more accurate assessment.
  • tiffanymac924
    tiffanymac924 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    labblb86 wrote: »
    I am currently on WW, lost 60 pounds last year, got to goal and now maintaining. I started working out last month, and in terms of WW points, I have no idea how much more to eat given my increased activity (and WW actually is not good at giving advice on this) so I just started double tracking points and calories here. It's more work, but I get a more accurate assessment.

I agree and did exactly was labblb86 did. I lost 30 lbs. with WW this past year, but when I started weight training back in September, WW didn't know how to give me advice on eating or not eating extra points because my weight loss stopped for 6 months. I couldn't lose the last 1.5 lbs. no matter what I did, but I went from a size 12 to size 4. They actually told me to stop weight training and only do cardio so I would have success on the scale.

WW is a great starting point to lose weight but I think counting calories is more realistic. I am now exclusively counting my calories here and lost 3 lbs. last week, which is more than I ever did in one week on WW. Now, I count the calories in WW "free" foods, which I think was not helping with weight loss. I will continue to go to WW meetings for the accountability and support group since my company pays for it. However, if I had to pay for it myself, I would not join WW at this point.
  • Heatherpuggy2018
    Heatherpuggy2018 Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Up until last month I was a WW (United Kingdom) member and lost 30lb this year on their plan. However, I found the pointing system didn't work for me in terms of an increase in exercise and the fact that I ate masses of zero point foods (which I have since found out, by keeping a food diary here, added up to a considerable calorie count - so likely contributed to my inability to lose weight in the recent months). I also was not a fan of their "connect" community on the site - it is fine for flicking through instagram style contributions from members but, there is only so many photos of people's coffees, lunches and help with points you want and you often miss posts you might be interested in. I much prefer this site for support and info. from members which is in sections of interest.

The good thing is that WW gave me the discipline to log all my foods and started me off on this journey - but not worth the monthly cost for me now.
  • Suzettedl
    Suzettedl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 1/2 pound on weight watchers in the first 3 weeks. I have had success with their other programs, but the smart points is just hard for me. I want to loose 20 pounds, but at this rate I am discouraged. I love the meetings and the accountability, but I think I might try calorie counting in combination with the meetings rather than their tracking program. Would love to connect with others doing the same.
  • 56Marigolds
    56Marigolds Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I joined WW back in March and I have only lost 3 pounds. I don't have a lot to lose - I will be happy with 10-12 lbs. Like @Suzettedl, I was getting discouraged. About 3 weeks ago I started counting calories and WW points. I was eating too many calories according to my TDEE, once I lowered my calories the weight starting moving downward. I understand that with a small amount to lose, it takes longer and I'm ok with that-

I like the meetings, I like the accountability and I've learned a lot about portion sizes and different ways to cook things, etc. My only issue with it is the points - no food is really "free" and that's what My Fitness Pal has taught me. So the bottom line is I'm doing a little of each and I'm finding success.

Just an aside, at least where I attend the WW meetings, they do not push their pre-packaged foods at all. They have them available but not once have I heard the leader talk about buying them. They encourage eating and cooking your own fresh foods.

@Suzettedl - I would be happy to connect with you - I'm not sure how we go about that! I'm technologically impaired :smile:
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: Save your money and time.

Eat good foods. Eat within your calorie count (the brownie is fine-just count it in), water, sleep, and good exercise. Yep, that's it.