Alcohol Challenge Question

Options
Mccloud74
Mccloud74 Posts: 788 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi folk :smile:

So I've taken on a challenge to give up alcohol for 365 days in order to raise money for a local charity.

Problem is, I'm 12 days in and eating like there's no tomorrow! Have also developed a sweet tooth (have always been a savoury fan)!!

I'm hitting the gym loads, but obviously not enough to counteract the additional sugar take-on as my weight hasn't shifted at all in the last 2 weeks.

I'm guessing it's because my body is lacking the extra calories it would normally get from alcohol...I'd drink around 1 to 2 glasses of red wine in the evening with my dinner and maybe a bit more on weekends.

Any ideas / tips or tricks?

Thanks guys :smile:

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Twelve days is not enough time for any effects to be apparent. A glass of red wine is about 125 calories, so it's probably not as big a component of your daily calories as other parts of your usual diet.

Some tips/ideas:
    • Use a food scale
    • Use accurate MFP database entries when logging
    • Changes in exercise routines can mask weight loss
    • Monthly cycles can cause water retention
    • Weigh yourself at a consistent time (daily/weekly, in the morning is a popular suggestion)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are used to drinking 120 calories of wine with/post dinner, maybe plan a little treat after dinner that is similar calories and feels like an indulgence? I usually do that, with a little cheese or fruit or nuts or dessert (ice cream, chocolate) depending on current goals and calories. Also, although this isn't related to the sweet-tooth thing, I found it nice to have something else special to drink and made different flavors of iced tea (I'd brew black and herbal teas and mix them in ways I thought would taste good and chill them). (Just one idea.)

Changing habits can be tough, so maybe adding something else into your evening routine would help.

I also agree with tracking calories for a while if weight loss/maintenance is desired and you feel like you are starting to overeat.
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the evening drink is part of a relaxation ritual, and that's what you may need to replace, rather than the calories. I'll echo the flavored tea, maybe sparkling water with a splash of juice, or kombucha (if that's something you enjoy). Or, try something else, like reading, meditating, etc. Wishing you success!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow. You must be passionate about the charity! I did Dry January, and one month was enough. Did make a nice difference health-wise...slept better, felt better, looked better. Best of luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking several years ago and it's really common to develop a sweet tooth when taking away alcohol. I agree that the best thing is to go with it, have a sweet treat when you want one. For most people the carb-cravings go away in time.

• Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :smile:

LZMiner...my father-in-law has got MND so am trying to raise some funds to help the local charity that supports those dealing with it.

My sleep has definitely improved!!