All Inclusive holidays for 11 days... how much damage can be done???

Options
amc2509
amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
:# I'm off with the family for 11 days to an all inclusive resort... I know in all honesty that there will be lots of cocktails and food consumed... there will not be a food scale involved... Obviously I will try and make good choices and get some daily exercise but the book is open on how much damage can be done in this time... I've had a consistent downward trend since I started in February and I've lost 19lb so far... I will not log my weight until 1 week after returning to eliminate the water from my system... but how much weight do you think I can expect to gain during this time???

Btw, I am not really worrying about it as I know that when I get back I'll get straight back to my routine and hopefully the downward trend will continue for the rest of the year, but for now anyway, I am chillazing :smiley:

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you just eat /drink everything you want you could put on 3 or 4 lbs of fat or you could enjoy everything but keep an eye on your portions and not gain very much at all. Either way, just enjoy it, you can work on getting back on track on your return.

The true gain wont really tell on the scales for a week because initially there will be a water weight gain.

After any holiday (mostly cruises) I can gain 1-2lbs of true fat and I find once back to normal eating by 2 - 3 weeks of getting home I'm back to pre-holiday weight. I am one of those people who prefer to keep an eye on what I'm eating all the time even when away and I also walk plenty to counteract some of the would be gain - I don't like to see gains of more than a few pounds in general.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A lot! You need a good strategy to limit the damage

• franklin505
    franklin505 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love your realistic attitude. Have a great holiday and get pi***d at least once
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the most i put on with a week of all inclusive was 5lbs... i was craving salad by the time i got back!!!

most of it i had got rid of within a week or so.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I find most of the weight I gained in the past on all-inclusive was 4-5lb water weight from the alcohol and air travel. That said I walk a lot and swim when I'm away (min. 10 miles per day) and I normally travel on my own so I am not getting hammered, just enjoying the odd cocktail or local beer. Mind your portion sizes, drink plenty of water and you can mitigate the damage. It can be good to take a break from a deficit now and again.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm off on a similar holiday soon. I'm not so worried about how much weight I'd put on, but what concerns me is getting back to normal eating patterns again afterwards. It's all too easy to relearn old habits.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am going on a similar length vacation this coming week. The first 5 or so days I will do alright because we are staying on the beach, bit the following week we have a meal plan that includes lots of snacks, buffets, and desserts. I am going to try to make good choices when I can, bit I also want to enjoy myself. I am hoping for no more than 2lbs gained over all.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you want to minimise the damage, use small plates, don't snack at random times, and make use of the pool regularly.

If not, have fun ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always gain about 2-3 lbs of fat. I wish I could be the kind that 'loses it all in a week anyway', but nope... apparently science does apply to me and if I eat too much, I gain fat (imagine that).

For me honestly though, I just lose my mind if I'm not active, so it typically makes up for some of the damage. I'm not going in vacations if I'm going to spend the day sitting in a chair... Then the key really is to only eat things that you really want, and not just eat/drink things because they are there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    amc2509 wrote: »
    :# I'm off with the family for 11 days to an all inclusive resort... I know in all honesty that there will be lots of cocktails and food consumed... there will not be a food scale involved... Obviously I will try and make good choices and get some daily exercise but the book is open on how much damage can be done in this time... I've had a consistent downward trend since I started in February and I've lost 19lb so far... I will not log my weight until 1 week after returning to eliminate the water from my system... but how much weight do you think I can expect to gain during this time???

Btw, I am not really worrying about it as I know that when I get back I'll get straight back to my routine and hopefully the downward trend will continue for the rest of the year, but for now anyway, I am chillazing :smiley:

A lot of damage could be done if you just decide not to watch what you are eating. Realistically, however, a food scale isn't required for people to lose weight. I would hope that by now you have a good idea of what an appropriate amount of food looks like. Aim for that and you'll come out okay.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My last vacation was 8 days, and I managed to gain 5lbs, it was mainly water weight and disappeared in about a week and a half.

As long as you don't over do it, and remain active you will be fine. Just enjoy yourself and have fun!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I went to Club Med a few months ago and stayed the same weight while really enjoying the different food and drink options. BUT I worked out 3-4x as much as usual. I took tennis lessons every morning after a run, also took the Zumba and Pilates classes, and tried out their spin once or twice. So if I ate 3x as much as usual, I made up for it. And I had a great time!! Honestly it was a dream vacation...I felt no guilt about what I ate because I was burning so many calories. :-)
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I gained nearly 5lbs of fat on my last vacation (cruise & a few days in San Diego). It was worth every cocktail and sticky bun. That was 2 months ago and it's nearly gone.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    amc2509 wrote: »

If you throw caution to the wind, you could easily gain 15 pounds or more. I know many that have done so. But if you eat wisely, and ensure you get in a good dose of daily exercise, you could wind up lighter when you get home. I have done that, myself. ;)
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My current record is 22lb of weight
    In 5 days. Gotta love the see food diet
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have a vacation like that coming up in November. My plan is to try to be about 5 lbs under my goal weight before I leave and I am currently 7lbs from goal weight. Based on the last vacation we took I should come out pretty close to my goal weight since we do eat and drink a lot but also walk everywhere, hubs and I are now both working out regularly so will most likely hit the gym a couple times for some weights, and we played a ton of water volleyball (seriously like 2 hours a day) and participated in some of the fun games and classes. I'm fine gaining while there since it is vacation!
    My maintenance on exercise days is about 2500 and my tastes and sensitivities have changed a lot so I doubt I'll have as many sugary drinks - probably a lot of vodka or tequila and soda with lime since I can't have pineapple anymore. I also cannot eat a lot at one sitting anymore so that will help too.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I went on a 7 day cruise, ate and drank what I wanted, but still made decent choices. I rarely skipped dessert though :). I did stay active though. I went to the gym on the cruise, we did active things at our stops and I walked around a lot. I gained a half pound. So, I say enjoy it and get back on track when you get back!!
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This is why I bought my mini-scale to carry with me in my purse. I don't have to worry about overeating when I go on vacations. My calorie estimates won't be so bad when I use the scale. If for any reason I can't use the scale I avoid high calories food and load my plate with veggies and or salad ( no creamy dressings) with anything I eat for lunch and dinner. My choice of protein is usually grilled anything i.e. fish, chicken, pork etc in small portions. I also try to maintain my steps above 15,000 a day just incase I over eat. I'm going on a weekend getaway for the memorial weekend to visit family for a party and BBQ. I'm looking forward to it.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Try to limit the fruity drinks (have a few but don't go crazy).... pina colodas, daiquiris, etc can pack crazy high calories. I like to have 1-2 a day, and then fill out the day with light beer and low-cal cocktails like Malibu with diet coke.