Best quick/cheap/healthy lunch ideas?

Options
I have a few up my sleeve, but my "go to" lunches are getting boring. Chicken...frozen veggies...frozen meals...sandwiches...

What are your favorite recipes that are low cal?

Replies

• BeShrable
    BeShrable Posts: 10
    Options
    *Bump* Would like some ideas too please. Fast, cheap and easy to take to the office.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I grab those bagged salads.
  • beth_hayden
    beth_hayden Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like to use leftover steak, chicken, or pork to put on top of salads for lunch. I use 3 oz warm it up & throw over a little cheese & a ton of veggies. then a little salad dressing.
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    bump
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If you have prep time....make stir fry the night before!!

A cup of brown rice
    Mixed veggies
    Meat of choice
    The smallest bit of stir fry seasoning

Mixed veggies can be steamed in the fry pan with a lid (add a little bit of water) in just a minute or two.

I eat this meal often ;D
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I make lentil chili on the weekend (takes 30 minutes...super cheap and easy) and freeze individual portions so during the week when I want something quick, I can pull some from the freezer and toss it in my lunch bag with some rice or cornbread and some veggies.
  • KelliesCupcake
    Options
    I used to make a veggie soup blend it and then put in a flask and it would still be warm for lunch, yummy :-)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Lentil Chili with Cumin and Green Onions

2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano leaves
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (add more to make it hotter)
    4 cups (or more) water
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed (I used green ones)
    1/2 cup tomato puree
    1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped green onions

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano leaves, and cayenne pepper; stir for 30 seconds. Add the 4 cups of water, lentils, and tomato puree. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam from the surface. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls as needed if dry, about 30 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup green onions. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide the chili among 4 bowls. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.

(Personal note: I don't like the green onions so I leave them out)
  • J3nnaLyn
    J3nnaLyn Posts: 125
    Options
    These are great ideas so far, thanks!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My Guide to Fast Food eating on a diet.

Subway Salad with Turkey. Tell them to use spinach instead of lettuce. Use the fat free honey mustard on the side, use it sparingly. You're looking at about 200 calories and almost no carbs . About $5

Wendy's Chili is good too and at $.99 who can complain.

Taco Bell has the Fresca Menu now. They make certain items without cheese or sour cream. Beware the burrito, you might as well eat a Big Mac. But 2 of the Fresca Tacos are a good choice. Under $5
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Lentil Chili with Cumin and Green Onions

2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano leaves
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (add more to make it hotter)
    4 cups (or more) water
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed (I used green ones)
    1/2 cup tomato puree
    1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped green onions

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano leaves, and cayenne pepper; stir for 30 seconds. Add the 4 cups of water, lentils, and tomato puree. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam from the surface. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls as needed if dry, about 30 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup green onions. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide the chili among 4 bowls. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.

(Personal note: I don't like the green onions so I leave them out)

Oh thank you thank you for this!!! I love lentils and I love chili, I can't wait to try this one!

I also try and make soup or something ahead and freeze the extra.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I tried something new today. I was craving mexican. I took 2 corn tortillas pan fried them in pam spray. Then put a half a slice of sargento low fat colby jack cheese on each and folded them over. cooked long enough to melt the cheese. Put a tbls of salsa on each..... 170 calories...
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    broccoli slaw, tuna and mayonaise (the 15 cal one) and any condiments that might add flavor to this.... quickest thing ever.

Its not going to make your palate throw a party but its tasty enough and you can add as much slaw as you want and trick yourself into thinking that its a large meal.....
  • JessFeldman02
    Options
    Lately I've realized I don't need a huge lunch. I really enjoy bringing Celery and apples to dip in a small amount of Peanut Butter. Sometimes I'll have some cheese/crackers with it. Not a lot of calories and much more filling than you would guess!
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    wellllll idk if you like mexican but I LOVE this..i take a spicy black bean veggie burger, top it with salsa and fat free shredded cheese and microwave it for about a minute and a half....SO GOOD! I ate this all the time last summer when I was trying to eat less bread!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Last night's leftovers!
  • Asereth333
    Asereth333 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the small Wendy's Chili and a plain baked potato with salsa. Less than 500 calories, high in fiber and about $3.50 (in NYC).
  • BananaRama929
    Options
    If you're getting sick of salads altogether, try a new combination of flavours to up the appeal. Awesome/delicious salad toppings:
    -strawberries, blueberries or raspberries
    -mandarin oranges
    - almonds
    - walnuts
    - crumbled feta cheese
    Some grocery stores even sell little pre-made salad kits that contain 3 or 4 toppings that can be used separately or together. Sometimes they have a dressing too.

I find wraps are also a good substitute for sandwiches. Use whole-wheat and stuff it full of good stuff like baby spinach leaves and a bit of protein (lean turkey or chicken, tuna salad, or boiled egg cut up with a bit of low-fat mayo) and some veggies and fruit on the side.

Lately I've been having a boiled egg or two with a piece of toast. Fills me right up and gets me through the rest of the day. Good luck!
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I always cook extra at dinner and portion it out immediately for lunch within the next day or so. On the weekends I cook the big meals and freeze them in single serving sandwichs baggies (once it cools). On my spur-of-the-moment days where my 3 yr old leaves me completely unprepared, I load up on fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, tuna, a few crackers, anything light I can grab and toss in my lunchbag. I also keep various healthy soups and a can opener in the drawer at my desk.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    cottage cheese, pico de galo, diced advacado and lettuce wrapped in a corn tortilla.

spinach, feta, watermelon, red onion salad with balsamic vinegarette.