Low carb/ need some exercise suggestions easy to stick to

Options
Today marks week 3 on a no carb diet... it's much easier than I anticipated...but I don't feel like I've lost weight. Next week I have to start hitting the gym 3x a week.... Anyone have easy workouts that can help me slim and tone?? I just need an easy rotation...something I can stick to.

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of carbs doesnt cause weight loss. You lose weight by maintaining a calorie deficit. If calories are the same low carb does not offer any added weight loss benefits to eating carbs, minus an initial drop in water weight.

Diet is much more important for weight loss then exercise.

If you are looking to have a nice "toned" look, i would recommend a resistance program. This could be weight lifting or a body weight program. Id recommend find a pre established program rather then making your own. Doing this will help you retain muscle as you lose weight.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. It doesn't matter what kind of calories (for weight purposes). A guy lost 60 pounds eating nothing but McDonald's for six months.

Toning means losing enough weight to reduce your body fat percentage such that your muscles become more visible.

Without carbs, it will be more difficult to perform intense cardiovascular exercise.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like dvds/videos at home. Things like 30 day shred, Ripped in 30, The Firm super Cardio mix or 500 calorie workout. When I went to a gym, there was a class called something like "salsa step and sculpt" that was really fun, and I also enjoyed kickboxing. Now I do Turbo Jam.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I like dvds/videos at home. Things like 30 day shred, Ripped in 30, The Firm super Cardio mix or 500 calorie workout. When I went to a gym, there was a class called something like "salsa step and sculpt" that was really fun, and I also enjoyed kickboxing. Now I do Turbo Jam.

I think this is what I will be doing.
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. It doesn't matter what kind of calories (for weight purposes). A guy lost 60 pounds eating nothing but McDonald's for six months.

Toning means losing enough weight to reduce your body fat percentage such that your muscles become more visible.

Without carbs, it will be more difficult to perform intense cardiovascular exercise.

I've done great with no carbs... and because I'm not eating crap, my calorie count is lower as well.
    BUT I'm losing my butt! :( so I need to get my squats on.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I've done great with no carbs... and because I'm not eating crap, my calorie count is lower as well.

You aren't going to gain a butt in a deficit. You've lost your butt because you lost fat. Or because you're flat from being carb depleted.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

You seem to think carbs are crap. After yesterday's run I had a bunch of raspberries. They were delicious, and the carbs are necessary and essential to help replenish the glycogen I spent exercising. At the end of the run, my VO2max was up a point. :smile:
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    I don't think carbs are crap, per-se. I just want to lose some weight I've put on. And honestly, I feel GREAT! I've tried everything else...this is the only thing that has been working for me. Once I reach somewhere I'm comfortable, I'll eat carbs but not NEARLY as I was...
    Weekends I have some carbs...because it's hard not to when socializing... But I don't crave like before...so a small amount suffice.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Well, it's great you found something that's working for you. :smiley:
  • NYCDutchess
    Options

You aren't going to gain a butt in a deficit. You've lost your butt because you lost fat. Or because you're flat from being carb depleted.

No, I def wont gain much...but with protein as my primary and fats as my secondary and adding more muscle, I should be ok. Butts are fat...period. But luckily even at 100 lbs I had an apple bottom...I was just enjoying the junk in the trunk :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Butts are not fat period...you can build your glute muscles to make your butt bigger and rounder....but not much in a deficit. How do you think you are gaining muscle if you are in a deficit? You most likely are not. You might be able to minimize muscle loss by lifting in a deficit but usually need at least maintenance or surplus to gain any.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

No, I def wont gain much...but with protein as my primary and fats as my secondary and adding more muscle, I should be ok. Butts are fat...period. But luckily even at 100 lbs I had an apple bottom...I was just enjoying the junk in the trunk :)

There is a lot more to a butt than just fat...
    The glutes are fairly large muscles.

Look at bikini competitors on show day, they have extremely low body fat and still have very nice butts because of the muscle.
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    I guess I said it wrong... by losing the fat, I need to make up in muscle....but that being said it wont me my nice fat a** lmaooo. But I'm going to try to get it as big as I can. :)
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    Well, it's great you found something that's working for you. :smiley:

Thank you.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Look into Strong Curves by Bret Contreras...it's a weight training program that might be what you're looking for.
  • NYCDutchess
    Options
    Look into Strong Curves by Bret Contreras...it's a weight training program that might be what you're looking for.

I actually did a while ago, and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • tashaforkner
    tashaforkner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think classes are a great way to get started if you are able to attend classes at a gym. I personally love Zumba. I think of it as a "hobby" more than a work out so I looked forward to going and since I am having fun I don't realize how hard I am working until the end when I am covered in sweat. Classes are a great way to go because usually gyms offer a variety like cardio, strength and more.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

You won't gain muscle in a deficit though... Resistance training will help you keep the muscle you do have though.