Cardio before or after lifting weights

Options
Hi there!!! I here all the time that it's best to do cardio before lifting weights, on the other hand, I also hear people swear that it's best to lift weights before cardio... I don't know if there is much of a difference, or if one way helps more, or helps build muscle... but I'm just curious :) Thank you

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Following! I do weights after cardio because I find it easier for me. My muscles are sore after weights, so it is harder to push myself to do as much cardio.... Sometimes I do a lot of cardio before, then a little bit after. :) I'd still like to hear opinions on this topic.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I do weights before cardio. If I did cardio before weights I think my muscles would be somewhat fatigued. Maybe not that fatigued, but enough so that I might not be able to push myself when I'm lifting.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It really comes down to your goals. If your goal is to be a better runner, then doing cardio first would make sense . However if your goal is to build strength and muscle then you may want to prioritize weight lifting and do that first. But in the end it's totally up to you and what feels best.

I personally do my lifting and cardio on separate days and make sure my cardio does not interfere with my lifting recovery or impact it in any way. My goals are currently to maintain muscle and build strength on my cut.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I believe in weights first, then cardio. A trainer told me, years ago, that the cardio may fatigue you, making you more likely to use poor form in doing strength training (and more likely to get injured). Particularly if you're using free weights rather than machines. That made sense to me, so I've followed that advice.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It really comes down to your goals. If your goal is to be a better runner, then doing cardio first would make sense. However if your goal is to build strength and muscle then you may want to prioritize weight lifting and do that first. But in the end it's totally up to you and what feels best.

I personally do my lifting and cardio on separate days and make sure my cardio does not interfere with my lifting recovery or impact it in any way. My goals are currently to maintain muscle and build strength on my cut.

Truth

You're doing a show right? I would suggest lifting first. Muscle retention is your top priority.
  • HayleeRenaeFit
    HayleeRenaeFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! That's awesome! Great tips, maybe it just depends on my body, also curious if there is a science to it as well
  • HayleeRenaeFit
    HayleeRenaeFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks again everyone!!! This is all super helpful and interesting :)
  • mitchell_maya1705
    mitchell_maya1705 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do cardio before weights just to make sure I do it! I have more motivation at beginning of my workout.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I think they both suffer if I do them in the same session, the second one more so, so I split them up and do one at lunchtime and the other at night.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you working with a trainer/coach? It might depend on your goals and what you are trying to achieve...

My goals are more around running/biking/swimming and I only lift weights because I have to, but my trainer has me do cardio first (~10 minutes of running) before my I lift weights... I definitely wouldn't do a long run/cycle/swim on the same day as a heavy-duty lifting day...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I do a little cardio (30 min walk) before I lift to warm up, then run several hours after lifting. I need my (active) rest days...