Anyone do Triathalons?

Options
Genie30
Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
Hi,

I've been thinking about joining a local triathalon club. As my main exercises are swimming cycling and running it seemed like the obvious choice. As it's three disaplines though, I wondered about how much time you have to comit to each disapline and how you devide your time.

Does anyone here do Triathalons? Any advice for a beginner?

Thanks

Genie

Replies

• hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I too am thinking of doing this. How far is a triathlon by the way as I have googled and get many different answers. Good luck by the way :-)
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just completed my second tri this past weekend. I love them! I would suggest starting with a sprint distance tri and work your way up from there :) Good luck!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've done a few sprint triathlons. I followed Hal Higdon's training schedule for a beginner and had no problem at all. They are a lot of fun - you should do it!
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon. After that, I am training for the iron man. Probally a 1/2 iron man at first, but a full is in my crosshairs.
  • jeanallison
    jeanallison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My boss does triathlons. It's an awful lot of training time.
  • ElimyW
    ElimyW Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hey,

Not sure where abouts in the world you are, but just came across an online "expert triathalon clinic" - basically ask an expert type forum thing, being run by a UK fitness magazine. It's from 1-2pm tomorrow UK time, so not sure how that fits with you timewise, but really, you can view it any time. Even if you don't want to ask particular questions yourself, it can be useful to see what other people are asking, and the answers they're given :)

http://www.zest.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=813&last=1&V=9&SP=

Good luck, and happy training!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    www.beginnertriathlete.com.
  • Genie30
    Options
    Brilliant! Thank you all so much xxx
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Training-Multisport-Athletes-Ultimate-Velopress/dp/188473782X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311716572&sr=1-2

Check out this book. It has a great training plan for beginners. I warn you though, once you do one, you'll be hooked! It becomes an obsession of sorts. It's a wonderful community!
  • Genie30
    Options
    Excellent! Thank you!