Gyming!?!?

Options
Couple ?s

1st how often do you workout weekly?

How important is strength training to losing weight in your opinion?

How do you mix up your cardio and strength training?

Thanks ya'll!

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I go daily, 1.5 hours but I am losing and I have learned to love it (started at 354lbs). Most say you need a few days rest I believe, that's just what I do so I don't side rail.

I mix up cardio and weight training. The scale started to move faster with weight training and I love the feeling of power :). Some times I surprise myself! Lol

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do 90 minutes 5x per week. Weight training has 0 to do with losing weight. That, however, doesn't mean it's not important. Weight/resistance training is important for fitness, building and maintaining muscle, etc. But you can 100% lose weight just fine without it.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6 times a week. Usual schedule:

-Saturday: long run (6-8 miles in winter, 4-6 in summer; I live in S. Florida)
    -Sunday: Orange Theory (it's half cardio/half strength training if you're not familiar), usually the 60 minute class but this week I'm doing 90 minutes
    -Monday: Off/ day of rest
    -Tuesday: 3-4 mile run
    -Wednesday: Orange Theory
    -Thursday: Sometimes I take off and sometimes I will fit in a spin class
    -Friday: I do a routine at the gym that's about a half hour of running on the treadmill and 15 minutes of strength. Or, sometimes I will take a spin class
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I don't think it helps me lose weight but it prevents me from regaining. And it makes my skin look great, makes me happy and feel accomplished!
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I workout anywhere from 7 to 12 times per week. Mostly cardio, NordicTrack ski machine, running, and walking. I also was doing resistance training but I injured my ribs in a fall and had to take it easy on the weights. As my ribs have been feeling a lot better I'm going to get back into that. I don't think strength training is necessary to lose weight, but it certainly helps. I can do bodyweight resistance practically anywhere, and I have free weights at home, so I can do strength training when I want. Sometimes it might be before a run, or after, or even just when the mood strikes me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    6 or 7 days, duration varies from an hour to all day cycle rides. Far more cycling in the warmer months - c. 35 hours a month. Mostly I'm doing strength training 3 times a week summer and winter.

Not important FOR weight loss (that's from a calorie deficit) but very important WHILE losing weight.
    Then again it's a great thing to do whether you are losing, maintaining or gaining.

I try for alternate days or strength and cardio but life and weather gets in the way. Cycling is my priority in summer, weights in winter.

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week. I think it's super important in order to maintain muscle while losing, but not the main factor (a calorie deficit is). I walk a few times a week too.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't. I walk 5-10miles a day (in one go, Nordic style). I also do boxing and pilates. I find it more motivating than lifting weights at a gym.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Couple ?s

Thanks ya'll!

Questions 1 & 3 are based on individual goals, time allotment etc. Most people should try to work out at least 3x week, preferably more.
    A solid fully body strength routine2-3x per week, plus some cardio 3-4x per week arranged depending upon goals and objectives.

Strength training has 0 impact on weight loss in the literal sense, however it is very important to do during the weight loss process for many reasons.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I workout with fitness classes (mix of cardio and strength) 4-5 days a week, have a long walk with DH and dogs on Sundays, and I usually take Friday and/or Sat off, depending on my schedule. I also walk every workday at my lunch break for 30 minutes.

I think the CDC recommendation for adult activity involves moderate cardio (150 minutes a week) and at least 2 sessions of resistance/strength training (full body). If the cardio is vigorous, that 150 goes down to about 75 minutes, and you can do any mix therein of moderate/vigorous cardio.

Here is the link to CDC site: https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm

Beyond that level (which is for adult health), it is whatever you want to do/enjoy. If you want to only lift in the gym and walk moderately for cardio, go for it. Find something you enjoy and stick with it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6x per week. 4 days weight lifting, 1 day resistance band circuits, plus cardio and yoga added in.

While weight loss itself comes from a calorie deficit, for me strength training is very important to retain muscle and for body composition.

I do cardio on separate days from my lifting... well right now it is only once a week. I am pretty active so I don't worry about cardio too much.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I walk every day for at least a half hour, but usually longer. Then I have karate twice a week and practice other times as well when my schedule allows. I use weight machines twice a week. Do what is best for you.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Run 4 miles M/W/F
    Lift T/T/S
    Pilates Saturday
    Minimum 10k steps per day!
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6 times a week with a mixture of cardio, weights, HIT circuit training, and yoga. Check out Jen Hewerd (or Heward) on you tube. She's a fitness model in California has some awesome circuit training sessions that is guaranteed to kick your butt.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 5-6 days a week. My goal is to hit 3 strength training classes and 3 cardio classes. I've also been running outside of the gym (C210k program) but I haven't been all that consistent with it lately.
    I feel so much better than I did when I was only doing strength training and I've lost almost 40lbs since adding the cardio in mid - January.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights every other day 45 minutes...no cardio! I'm pretty strong for an old lady and have maintained my weight lose for years.
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-7 days a week.
    Strength training, for me personally, has made all the difference in my transformation. I will always lift; it's what I love to do. Cardio is an extra that I'll do only on occasion.
    For cardio, I usually warm up before my lift with 5 minutes of stairs. Then, after I lift, I'll do about 20 minutes of stairs and 20 minutes of rowing.
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I workout 5/7 days, I usually do Wednesday - Sunday. This is because Monday and Tuesdays are the busiest at my gym! I'll list my routine
    W, F, S
    20 minute cross trainer or tredmill
    Weight machines 5 machines based off different arm and back muscles 8 reps x 3 on each
    Leg press, 50 reps
    5 minute Step up machine
    10 minute cross trainer or red milk (whichever I didn't do previously)
    40 minute walk outside (I live 2 minutes from the gym so I take a huge loop around my city as I find I get more energy once I'm in the air! It's a nice relaxing but fast pace walk)

T,S
    10 tredmill
    20 cross trainer
    10 tredmill
    10 bike
    5 step ups
    40 minute walk

Found this really helps, note the 10 minute splits on tredmill is due to them not having a fan at my gym so I can't stay on for too long without overheating way too much! Tried lots of routines and this is the only one that's kept me coming back to the gym and loving it