Office Job

Options
tyadrake
tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
Hello All~ I have a desk job, which is great for somethings, not good for keeping the booty from spreading. Does anyone have any recommendations on small things to do at your desk to get in a little muscle movement throughout the day? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I've heard of using an exercise ball as a chair. Never done it, but I have considered it.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    I go out and walk around the buildings in our office park 2-3 times per day. It's not much but every little bit helps. If you have stairs in your building, running those is really good too.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i use to use an exercise ball - more when my back was playing up but its good for toning the mid section and forces better posture - else you can slide off hehehe, i work sat down mostly but try and get up for a wander every hour and i do lots of exercise outside of work including lunch break when I get one
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Practice good posture AND keep your abs tight..... your core will become strong... and toned. As to the tush.....you have to work on that off hours. It's a constant battle... I do KNOW!
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I think the exercise ball is good to help work on posture. I've also seen those little mini exercise peddlers (they can fit under a desk), but I have yet to actually buy one and try it at my desk.

It is hard sitting at a desk all day, I find myself not wanting to sit at all when I get home in the evenings.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    Making sure you stand up a couple times an hour. Walking to a coworkers desk intest of calling or emailing. Just getting moving. Take the long way to the copier etc. I also drink water when I am bored because it is that or eat and water does not cause me to gain weight but that chocolate will.
  • modestalchemist
    modestalchemist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    if you have an hour lunch, spend 30 minutes of it walking and eat something light.
    keep your candy dish out of reach.
    get up and stretch every hour for about 5 minutes.
    take the stairs
    you can get rid of your chair and get a balance ball to sit on, which is supposed to engage your core while you're just sitting on it.
    get a little peddling machine to put under your desk so you can "bike" while you work.
    drink lots of water
    look up workouts you can do while in your office.

now if i could only apply my great advice, i wouldn't be in the same situation :)
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I too work at a desk all day-10 hours a day. I bring my own lunch (I can't eat what I don't have!), drink tons of water (which requires multiple bathroom trips-a plus for getting exercise!), every time I need to print something I print one sheet at a time to I have to make multiple trips to the copy machine (a short distance, but still extra calorie burn!), go for walks around the building during my breaks or when the weather is better I walk around the parking lot and sometimes I try to do as much of my work standing instead of sitting and take the stairs instead of the elevator. Little things, but they add up.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Take your breaks and get up walk around. Do squats, do lunges. Push your chair back and sit without your chair for 30 seconds to a minutes. Bring a ball to stregthen your grip, do curls with it per side. granted it is not weights but it is movement. work on tightening your core muscles and then lean forward and back.
  • cwelsh99
    cwelsh99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I sit on a balance ball. While my coworkers make fun of me because I bounce on it, I have to believe the little movement burns more calories than sitting in a chair. It especially helps in the afternoon when I'm feeling tired. Just pop in your headphones, listen to some Michael Jackson, and I guarantee you'll want to bounce around!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    When I take restroom breaks, I take the stairs to a restroom on a different floor. I also do a bit of cardio during the few minutes it takes me to microwave my lunch. It isn't long - 3-4 minutes - but it really does wake me up! I feel a bit silly if someone walks in on me, but heck, let 'em. They know I'm a bit wacky anyway. :laugh:
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I drop and do pushups all throughout the day, sit up straight and keep my core muscles pulled in tight. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions! I already do some of these things, I bring my lunch everyday, however I never really get a "lunch break" I drink lots of water and I stay away from the candy drawer. With the exception of a gummy bear or two every once in awhile. We don't have stairs and it is a small office. I do walk out to the warehouse to question the staff if needed rather than call them. I will look into the ball and under the desk thing.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Wiggle! Shaking your legs helps to burn more than you would sitting still.