Fibromyalgia

Options
On days like this my fibro has me in bed not wanting to do anything let alone exercise. I feel defeated for not exercising today. I'm trying not to beat myself up too much. But if anyone has tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you under a doctor's care? Chronic pain sucks. I know how you feel. Hugs
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have been struggling with mine for the past several months. I won't do meds so I've tried a variety of different diets trying to see if one helps more than others. I've learned that some things trigger me, like night shades and especially potatoes. If I eat any potato I'm miserable within an hour. To a lesser degree the tomatoes and peppers bother me but I can eat some if I'm careful. I had been looking into low carb for my husband who is pre-diabetic and came across information about many people finding pain relief by doing a very low carb (keto) diet so I thought since he had to do it anyway, I might as well join him and see how it goes. I kind of feel like I've had a miracle. My pain went from a consistent 5-7 to a 1-2 within a week! I've been on it for more than a month now and it hasn't come back even though I do jiu jitsu, weight lifting and kickboxing. Before I would be EXTREMELY sore the day after a workout and the workouts themselves were hard due to the pain.

I'm sorry you're hurting and I hope you find relief. Maybe try playing with your diet a bit? I do take magnesium and that helps a lot too.
  • Mindiqualls
    Mindiqualls Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have fibro too. When the flare gets bad you MUST take care of you. Is there a place where you can swim? I belong to an aquatic center that has both a pool and a heated therapy pool and both are great for being active when everything else hurts.

Another friend of mine shared this today. https://cocolimefitness.com/ It has a whole section for fibro.

But at the end of the day, taking a day (or a few) to take care of you is not going to stop your progress. It might be a detour, but you will get there.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Chronic conditions have days that aren't the best. I'm sitting here in a dark room with a really dim screen toughing out day two of a migraine and day three of an psoriatic arthritis flare.

So I feel you, OP.

I learned long ago to not beat myself up for having one of "those days". Conditions that carry with them the side effect of fatigue like fibro can be made worse by pushing too far when the condition is telling you to stop. The problem is that you know this intellectually but your guilt is telling you to tough it out, right? It's okay to manage your condition properly! In fact, it's the smart thing to do.

Tell yourself that you're doing the smart thing and making the flare pass more quickly so that you can get back to exercise more quickly by resting today. If you pushed yourself to try now when you're body isn't ready, you'd just be sidelining yourself longer.

Hang in there, and hugs!
  • MrsKate77
    MrsKate77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Gentle hugs.
    I have fibromyalgia and ddd.
    It's not easy at times is it?
    Be kind to yourself, gentle exercise and build back up.
    Don't beat yourself up.. x
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis. Add me if you want