McDonalds to introduce more food groups such as fruits, vege

Options
in an article you can find here http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/26/us-mcdonalds-idUSTRE76P41I20110726.
McDonalds has agreed to make kid's meals smaller.

Samantha Graff, director of legal research at Public Health Law & Policy said "Without the looming prospect of regulation in cities and states around the country, McDonald's would not have taken as seriously the concerns that the public health community and parents have been sharing with them about this issue,"

I know there's a big divide among people as to whether regulation is the key to the general population to reduce their waistline.

What do you think?

Replies

• Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone should stop eating at McDonald's. Period.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Here's a tough one. On one hand, the epidemic of obesity, diabetes, etc. is a public health crisis that has huge economic impacts (whether you're talking health care costs, productivity drops, lost time...it all feeds into a situation that genuinely demands public sector attention because it affects everybody.). On the other hand, there is a real issue of personal responsibility. I remember several attempts by McDonald's in particular (pre-Super Size Me attempts) to provide healthier options. The public voted with their wallets (at least in the US) and didn't purchase enough of these options to make them profitable. Note also that since McDonald's has attempted to clean up its menu in recent years, Burger King's advertising has essentially gone the "we're the super unhealthy option" direction. There is a market for junk food and it's there as much because of the CONSUMERS as the PRODUCERS.

Personally, I think pressure from public groups is necessary, though regulation is harder. In the end, it really comes down to personal responsibility. I take a great deal of pleasure in the facts that my 4 year old recognizes only two fast food restaurants on sight (yes, one is McDonald's -- playgrounds and happy meal toys -- but the other is Subway which he usually calls the turkey sandwich store), drew attention in the grocery store by having a tantrum because we were NOT getting broccoli that day, and recently opted for apple sauce over french fries when dining with relatives at Applebees. Ultimately the change has to come from consumer demand, but that won't happen without the pressure and education that comes from public sector (in this case, the public health sector).
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When are they going to bring back the McRib!?!
  • ONCEALWAYS
    ONCEALWAYS Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think we as people need to make better choices. It is our responsibility not a company, corporation or government to make the right choices. What makes someone think that eating that big mac and extra large fry and coke is healthy. Moderation in everything. McDonalds or some other eating establishment is not responsible for a parent purchasing a hamburger and fries for their kid(s). I also don't buy, mom/dad/whomever didn't teach me how to eat properly. Come on really! I know that we are a product of our envrionment - gee mom always made me clean my plate.... but I know that isn't the right way to eat .... I don't clean my plate any more unless I'm hungry. With all of the information that is available out there on nutrition - we are informed.... I don't want government regulation telling me what I can purchase.

I remember a time when portions were reasonable, I think this gets us everytime. Oh and it's still our responsibility to control our portions.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It is nice to see McDonalds to have fruits and veggies. As for portions for kids, that is up to the parents. We, adults, are responsible for what we eat. Just make sure everything is labeled so we have the ability to make an informed choice.

I do make concessions to those adults or children that cannot read or are mentally unable to, they need help.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm totally all for Personal Responsibility. You are responsible for your health and your kids.

But I applaud any efforts McD's makes to offer healthier options and hope they also some day take into account all the preservatives and what-not in their food. However, I do NOT think it's the gov'ts job to regulate it. Enough is enough on that crap.

I may be the luckiest parent on the face of the earth. My kid eats like a champ... He cried when we ran out of lima beans for crumb sake.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My kids get McD's every once in a while, once a month if that. Its not their diet staple so if I opt for fries because my youngest loves it, well I don't think its a huge deal since he gobbled up fruit at home all day. Now, if we're traveling then yeah, having fruit will be an awesome choice.

Parents have to make the choices and feed their kids healthy all the time at home. I like to see them do their due diligence but, ultimately its the parents option to lead a healthy lifestyle.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options

lol
  • odusgolp
    Options
    :drinker:
    My kids get McD's every once in a while, once a month if that. Its not their diet staple so if I opt for fries because my youngest loves it, well I don't think its a huge deal since he gobbled up fruit at home all day. Now, if we're traveling then yeah, having fruit will be an awesome choice.

Parents have to make the choices and feed their kids healthy all the time at home. I like to see them do their due diligence but, ultimately its the parents option to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Great approach. Everything in moderation
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options

we have it right now in Canada.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I feel good for the lil children out there whose parents dont make the right choices for them. They will now eat an apple they normally wouldnt....

Mcdonalds ..Also once a month for my kids and I encourage them to choose the apples, they normally do, not always...
    no soda for them either..
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Personal responsibility. Besides, I read another article that these fast food places soak their fruits and veggies in preservatives to make them last longer. I guess that's why the salads always look perfect. I'll pass.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Personal responsibility. Besides, I read another article that these fast food places soak their fruits and veggies in preservatives to make them last longer. I guess that's why the salads always look perfect. I'll pass.

Yup. I have more of a problem w/ the preservatives and dyes in their food than anything else...
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I guess it's good for when you HAVE to go with fast food, like if you're out of town or something. At least you have the option of a healthier choice. I just want everything everywhere to be LABLED so we KNOW!!
  • MrsSmith1112
    MrsSmith1112 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Seriously...i love you! Awesome!
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

Sound logic. You don't like McDonalds so everyone else shouldn't eat there.

I don't drink, therefore I think you should never drink again. Period.

I don't watch TV, therefore I think you should never watch tv again. Period.

This is fun!
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

Quoted for awesomeness.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Sound logic. You don't like McDonalds so everyone else shouldn't eat there.

I don't drink, therefore I think you should never drink again. Period.

I don't watch TV, therefore I think you should never watch tv again. Period.

This is fun!

No need to be snarky dude. It is just my opinion after all.