Experiences with Vacation Breaks from Logging

Options
I've been logging for a littler over three months and have lost about 20 lbs in that time. I'll be on vacation this weekend and am considering taking a break from logging for at least Saturday and Sunday. We're going up to the mountains, so it's likely we'll have a very active vacation and I'll get back to logging on Monday, hopefully with no damage done. I'm not planning on just eating whatever I want, rather I want to be more conscious about what I'm eating but not actually logging. We're going to a small town with a lot of independent restaurants where it would be difficult to log accurately anyways. Since this is my first break, I'm wondering if anyone has any good advice for dealing with a small break, eating low calorie without logging (like good go to options at restaurants) and for getting back to it on Monday. I know that I can't really do too much damage over two days, but I'm still nervous about it.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    I took diet breaks every 16 weeks.

The first time, it was my intent to eat everything in sight, but I discovered I couldn't do that. I just couldn't pack away the food anymore ... and found that when I sat down at a restaurant, I wanted things like salad or steamed veggies instead of a mountain of chips.

I'm also more active on holidays than I am when I'm at home.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've done vacation breaks without any issue. I tried to stay mindful in some situations and just lived it up in others.

Logging breaks for no reason other than not feeling like it, though, = me and the scale having problems.

Go enjoy your weekend and don't stress about food.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would take those days to enjoy your vacation and let it go. Don't go overboard, but just be mindful that you don't want to blow your calories out of the water.

This is an excellent opportunity to test the waters as far as maintenance skills go. ;)
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on the second week of a "break" from counting. I could feel the burnout coming, so I wanted to catch it before it went full blown.

I still maintained good habits, although I might have cheated a smidge at times (vanilla milkshake with some rumchata...yummm!). I still meal prepped, and that is because I find it so much more convenient to have things prepped in advance. I didn't weigh anything for lunches, but stuck to portion sizes I ate when weighing. I did weigh/measure my oatmeal bowls but that is more because its part of my prep for the week.

during this time I've been mostly maintaining (fluctuating within a 3lb range). I don't really add a lot of exercise (I walk my dogs and sometimes take a walk on my lunch break, although I've been slacking on both of those), so my diet is how I'm losing weight. If I was more active I might have still seen some loss.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have been on a break since January. Trying to use what I learned from logging but not really tracking. Yes I regained weight. Interestingly the fit of my clothes has not changed though and I've noticed some muscle definition changes and continued changes in body composition. Also noted that I am not so tired all of the time anymore. I do need to get back on track with weight loss but overall I think after two solid years of tracking and restricting this break has been good for me.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Making vegetables half of what you eat can help curb the number of calories. Most places have salads. Having it as an appetizer or a side can help you fill your stomach. If you can take leftovers back to where you're staying, you can cut your meal in half. If you can't, maybe split something with someone else at your table.