What's the best milk?

Options
So I've been drinking carbmaster milk which only has 60 calories. It has 11g of protien only 3 sugars and like 3 carbs... But my friend drinks unsweetened almond milk with only 30 calories. It only has 1g of protein though? 1g of sugar and I think 0 calories.. It sounds better but didn't know if maybe I needed those extra proteins since I'm working out?? Help?

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Drink the milk that tastes best to you and fits your macros. Personally, I drink raw milk and use unsweetened almond milk in smoothies. Occasionally, I'll buy a carton of goat milk to make ice cream.
  • beckyloewer
    beckyloewer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I drink unsweetened almond milk as i have a dairy intolerance
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's not about finding the ideal food but about combining all foods to achieve your goals.

Milk is great paired say, with a peanut butter sandwich.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Whatever FF is on sale for the size I want.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't like cow milk. I can deal with cream or half and half with coffee. If I want "milk" I usually go for Silk organic unsweetened soy.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I like raw milk from pastured cows on a local organic farm. As a compromise, I'll buy raw milk at the grocery store or farmer's market. I also like homemade almond or coconut milk, but they're more like a dessert beverage than actual milk.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    When I think of milk ... it's from a cow, or possibley a goat or a sheep. I prefer unhomogenized whole milk but settle for homogenized 2% most of the time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Drink the 1% Great Value from Wal-Mart. It's $.80 a gallon in my community. Hard to find a cheaper source of protein.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I agree that all of the "milk-like beverages" should be required to call themselves something else. They are not milk and they do not have anything like the nutrition profile of milk, for better or worse. That is not a value judgement, I just don't like for people to be misled.

Now, what to call "soy milk..." Soy Smilk, perhaps?
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I used to like Gustafson Dairy, but they were purchased by a larger dairy operation. <3
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I like the Fairlife Ultra filtered milk. It's cold filtered instead of being pasteurized & has half the carbs of regular milk. It has a lot higher protein count(13g) than normal milk, soy or almond milk & it's lactose free for those that are affected by that...

+1 for Fairlife milk. I'm not keto so don't care about the carbs and not lactose intolerant so don't care about the lactose free, but it's higher in protein than regular milk. I drink their skim and use their whole milk as creamer for my coffee.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I picked up something new yesterday - Silk almond-coconut blend. It's delicious, low-carb (for those who care about such things) and only 35 calories per cup. Just be aware that these non-dairy substitutes contain almost no protein, which is the only major drawback as far as I'm concerned. But it's helpful for those who are interested in moving to a more plant-based diet (and I've been considering veganism for some time now).
  • dubble818
    dubble818 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I only drink cow milk, mostly because of the protein and taste. The kind I'm drinking varies with my goals... bulking? 2%, cutting? skim
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I like almond and soy, but I rarely drink a glass of either. I've always hated cow milk.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk mostly and occasionally coconut milk. I'm dairy intolerant so can't have regular cows milk.
  • SteveVx
    SteveVx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fairlife for the W! B)