Does being big boned really exist

Options
2»

Replies

• rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    While a lot of people use "big bones" as an excuse for being out of shape, I'm sure bone size varies from person to person.
    My ribcage is actually pretty big compared to the rest of my frame; Even when I had a BMI that was nearing the overweight category, some of my ribs stuck out. Now that I'm in right about the middle of the healthy category (maybe one point towards under rather than overweight), you can see a lot of my ribs and sternum, but the rest of me doesn't look as bony..so I suppose I am big boned in that sense.
  • Freeapollo
    Freeapollo Posts: 25
    Options
    It's not an excuse for some people such as myself I can weight about 20 pounds above the average weight but have a small waste and see my ribs. Its really a cure however you can build muscle on top of it and look fitter than you are.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've heard there are really only a small percentage of people that are actually "big boned". There's some medical term for it.

The rest of us are using it as an excuse for being fat. MY BONES ARE HUGE.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I think it does. I have thin bones but wide hips... I have friends that are my height but thicker fingers, head and yes bones. When you are thinner you can see it.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    NO SUCH THING. There actually was a piece on tv recently, although I forget what channel it was. Think about it, big bones? That sounds stupid.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My child must be muscular then. She has very strong legs and a booty on her. But she's played sports since she was 4. She's nowhere near fat. She's 8 and is about 67 pounds.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    NO SUCH THING.

I respectfully disagree. I am 5' 8 1/2" tall and in good physical shape. I am the same height as a friend who is also in shape and my height, and as such neither of us has much "excess" fat/weight on our wrist. As an experiment for this specific concept/topic, we both used a cloth tape measure to measure our writst bones. Mine was considerable larger than hers - she has smaller bones than I do.

While I think the phrase "I'm big boned" is over used as an excuse for being overweight and/or obesity, the reality is that just like people, bones come in a variety of sizes.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    large frames exist but not big bones. I have a large frame for my height , 51" shoulders only 66" tall. Used to be a 30" waist in there as well, but that has undergone quite an expansion over the years. :embarassed:
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I went home and checked my kids' weight last night. My 5 year old weighs 50 lbs and my 8 year old weighs 74 lbs. And if they are fat I don't see where. According to one website, average weight for a 5 year old is 39.6 lbs and for an 8 year old its 57.2 lbs. I think that's awfully small!