Dear Younger Me

Options
kellylynnshonting
kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
I don't know if a thread like this has ever been started on MFP, but I thought it might be interesting nonetheless.

Though the premise is to write a letter to your younger self (and that is totally fine if that is the slant that is used), but I want this to be an open place for that type of letter as well as a letter that may come from a more recent place.

It's all about what you would tell a younger version of yourself that you know now (in a 'what you wish you would have known then that you know now' kind of thing).

All I ask is to be open and be kind. No negativity needed, just keep it respectful.

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    For all the wrong turns and bad decisions I made, I wouldn't change a thing. The culmination of those mistakes led me to this point in my life. I learned a lot. I also met my wife after some of those wrong turns. If I had turned left instead of right at some point I wouldn't have her or the 3 beautiful daughters that I have now.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    dear me,

don't be so quick to get hitched.

signed,
    me
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Dear Younger Me,

Don't be so quick to believe everything people tell you. Not everyone is a good person. Do not lose yourself. Don't rush. Have as much fun as you can in your twenties because hangovers in your 30's are like death.

Love,
    Me
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dear younger me,

You were a real dumbass. Oh, and don't fall for a note taped to your locker in 7th grade, those chicks put it there just so they could laugh at you. Oh, and in 10th grade ask out Trish, she actually did have a crush on you, but you won't find that out until 5 years after you graduate & it's too late. Don't sell your 62 chevy or the 66 vw bug, you'll regret those decisions for a long time. Otherwise just keep being the dumbass you are, nothing changes in that department by the time you're the today me. Eventually stuff works out for the most part.

Seriously,
    Me
    uoqdjvnk97z9.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Dear younger me,

Can you read this?

Me
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Dear younger me,

No matter how interesting you find the work, do not choose a desk job. Seriously. Don't.

Sincerely,
    Older me
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Dear younger me...

Stop stressing so much about what other people think and go have fun! Don't basically punish yourself for nearly a decade because you're fat. Do something about it, and get out there! You'll be surprised how little people actually care about the jiggle in your middle. Make friends and maybe you won't spend so much time alone, depressed, and stuffing your face. 30s you would appreciate it.

Love,
    Older me.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    For younger me,

Stop trying to save people, it doesn't matter what you do, how hard you try or how much you love them. Don't be their collateral damage.

You'll never be perfect but that's ok, nobody is and you'll see this more and more as you grow.

I know you feel like you don't fit in anywhere, even with close friends, that's ok too, don't change yourself to fit into the world's desired packaging.

Worry less, way way less. Almost everything becomes a distant memory.

From you.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Hi there lady!

Just want to give you a heads up on a few things...

You shouldn't worry about all the random ideas that you have and spontaneous choices that you make, it's your personality and that's who you are. It won't change anytime soon.

Treasure your family and do your best to foster the friendships that you value. Be warned that many people will disappoint you. Try to let it go, and forgive (most people). I know you don't understand why this is important, but one day you will.

Business and personal relationships - listen to your instincts.

Don't hold back! It's better to try than to wonder what if.

Have fun! (I know you will!)
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    For all the wrong turns and bad decisions I made, I wouldn't change a thing. The culmination of those mistakes led me to this point in my life. I learned a lot. I also met my wife after some of those wrong turns. If I had turned left instead of right at some point I wouldn't have her or the 3 beautiful daughters that I have now.

This is more or less how I feel - I've made mistakes, but I wouldn't back up and change a thing, because I'm happy exactly where I am.

HOWEVER, if I were giving advice to other young people based on my past ...

I'd tell them not to be so scared. Don't grow up too fast, don't settle down too young. Challenge yourself while you're unattached and you have the freedom to take some risks. Go ahead and move halfway across the country. Do a semester abroad. Take that job that will turn your life upside-down. Travel. Jump out of a plane, or climb a mountain, or some other thing that terrifies yet fascinates you. Take a dance class, or a music class, or a cooking class, or whatever strikes your interest. Get involved in a cause that's important to you - march, protest, volunteer.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Dear lil canarygirl,

Don't get back together with ex. He cheated on you.

Don't get married just because everything's in place and you don't feel like you can back out. You can back out.

Eat more protein and fiber.

Love yourself.

Love, me.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Dear Deadman,
    Put down the beer. It only makes things worse, and it always will... and ffs, eat a damn salad.
    Sincerely, Me.
  • strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Dear me
    Don't let a heartless f boy take away so many years of your life
    From meeee