Male 5'10", Goal weights?

Right now I have my goal set at 180lbs which is a pretty hefty goal from my 275 I started at. Although BMI Calc says I should be a bit lower.

What are most guys my height considering a reasonable goal that is also healthy?

Regards,
Bruce

Replies

• MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    I am 5'10" and my goal is 160. Originally it was 175, but I still felt tubby when I hit that, so now I am aiming for the extra 15 pounds. For my build (naturally broad shoulders and chest) 160 seems about the right goal now.Though, when I hit 170 I am going to stop worrying so much about the weight and start doing more strength training and sculpting.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    175-180
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Right now I'm trying to drop a few pounds before I start execising, I'm figuring on getting back to the gym at 250 which is only 15.5 pounds away. I will start out slowly with cardio and not long sessions to keep from getting discouraged. Thinking 15-20 minutes of cardio a day for a week. Then working to 30ish mins of cardio then adding in strength as my body starts to adapt in a few more weeks.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    175-180

I'm right within this range as of now. I'm just semi-maintaining for fat loss. Muscle mass overshadows the range of BMI.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    At the moment I have my goal set as 189lbs (which according to the BMI calculator is still to high).

One thing to bear in mind that the BMI calculator will be for the average build.
  • My husband is 5'8". He started in the 190's and thought he would look really skinny at his first goal weight of 170. Well, he hit that and still had some to lose, so he backed it down to 160. Well, he's hit that and he doesn't look too skinny. So he's now shooting for 150. He'll assess it again once he gets there. I would say to do the same. Get to 180 and see how you feel. BMI's are not the only good measure of health. Good luck on your journey!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    I am 5'10"
    I was @ 250 last Xmas and went up to 270 by the spring.
    My weight when I graduated high school (oh so many years ago) was around 185.
    For now my short term goal is to break 200 lbs by Xmas this year (2 lbs/week). At my last weigh in I was 235 (last weekend).
    Once I break the 200lb mark I will evaluate and re-set my goals.
    I doubt that I will be so ambitious as to get to 185. I am thinking that I would be happy with a static weight somewhere in the low - mid 190's

Good Luck!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    175-180

I'm right within this range as of now. I'm just semi-maintaining for fat loss. Muscle mass overshadows the range of BMI.

This is EXACTLY what I am doing...my goal weight is 175...I am at 179.8 and I am eating at just 1/2 lb/week of loss...maintaining a high protein percentage and a low fat percentage on my macros and trying to melt fat while slowly getting to 175. I doubt I will go much lower than 170...
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Right now I'm trying to drop a few pounds before I start execising, I'm figuring on getting back to the gym at 250 which is only 15.5 pounds away. I will start out slowly with cardio and not long sessions to keep from getting discouraged. Thinking 15-20 minutes of cardio a day for a week. Then working to 30ish mins of cardio then adding in strength as my body starts to adapt in a few more weeks.

Don't talk yourself into a too easy routine! (This was my undoing for years)
    Try something different and go as often as you have the time. There are lots of great ways to get moving, Pilates, Zumba, Yoda (harder and more cardio than you might think), PSX90, etc. Not to forget my favorites: Martial Arts, Kick Boxing & Boxing. A good Boxing / Martial Arts gym will have beginners courses that will get your heart beating and a good sweat happening.

Again, Good Luck!
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    You have to see how you feel when you get to your goal. I lowered mine twice already. I'm 5'10" and weighed in at 174 today. My goal is 170. I think I would be happy between 165-170. Once you get near your goal you realize that all the calculators are pretty accurate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    No time like the present. Body will adapt once you are consistent regardless of weight. Don't fear it now, put it into action. You'll thank yourself later.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Right now I have my goal set at 180lbs which is a pretty hefty goal from my 275 I started at. Although BMI Calc says I should be a bit lower.

What are most guys my height considering a reasonable goal that is also healthy?

Regards,
    Bruce

BMI is BS. I'm 5'9 220lbs and according to it I'm obese. A better indicator will be your bodyfat %
  • I am 5'9 1/2

My goal is 30 lbs of fat. So that can either be 180 (30 fat + 150 FFM), 190 (30 fat +160 FFM), etc. It all depends on how much muscle I gain/lose during my weight loss.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I'm 5'-10" and for many years while lifting weights pretty hard I was around 183-185 but very muscular, with a decently low body fat%.(10%)

Right now I bounce between 168-170 with about the same, maybe a hair less body fat % as when I lifted, and much less muscle. This is as low as I intend to go, and keep what little muscle I have left
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

Regards,
    Bruce

BMI is BS. I'm 5'9 220lbs and according to it I'm obese. A better indicator will be your bodyfat %

BF% is definitely a better measure. Most athletes and bodybuilders will ALWAYS be at a high BMI. And no one is gonna argue that they are healthy.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    I am shooting for 185, but I am 5'10" and a half. I cannot imagine being 150-170, I was more than this when I was in fantastic shape probably due to lean muscle mass. Ahhh, I was in shape and Ace of Base was ruling the radio waves, those were the days.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member

Don't talk yourself into a too easy routine! (This was my undoing for years)
    Try something different and go as often as you have the time. There are lots of great ways to get moving, Pilates, Zumba, Yoda (harder and more cardio than you might think), PSX90, etc. Not to forget my favorites: Martial Arts, Kick Boxing & Boxing. A good Boxing / Martial Arts gym will have beginners courses that will get your heart beating and a good sweat happening.

Again, Good Luck!

This is not the first time I've been down this road, I've learned the hard way many times before that if I start exercising for an hour a day right away I will discourage myself from going back after a few days. Please don't try to push me into something that could ultimately be my undoing. I have a lot of aspirations but I need to build to them at my pace or it won't happen at all.
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    180 - 190 is what I'm aiming for. I started at 242 this past new years and my cw is 207 lbs. Once I hit 190 ill know if I want to lose that last 10 or not.