How to deal with unexpected pain and being forced to take rest days

Options
I have been a lifelong runner since the age of 12, and have never been injured or sore after a workout. Lately, I am getting sore unexpectedly which is making me put the breaks on working out. I am not sure what is causing the soreness. I used to only run outside or on the treadmill, and have since added the elliptical, bike and weights. I workout the same amount I always have for years which is 1-2 hours a day when training and 30min-1 hour when not training. I have had to take up to 2-3 rest days a week from the pain being too bad and being too sore to have a normal range of motion required to run or use the elliptical. My legs feel like I ran 2 marathons back to back. This has NEVER happened before. Being an avid runner, the biggest issue with this for me and my myfitnesspal goals is that since my workout day calorie burns are so high and I am so much muscle compared to fat, that I am ravenous no matter if I work out or not...and if I am unable to workout and burn those calories then I will definitely end up overeating and thus will not lose weight. This is so frustrating.

Any suggestions as to how to stop the soreness and to be able to keep up with my typical workouts??

I can also try eating less but it actually feels like starvation to eat 1500 calories a day when I typically eat 2600-3000 on my workout days where I'm running 10-12 miles a day.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Get a bike.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a bike... I said that.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Is it muscle sore, joint sore? General fatigue?

Maybe since adding in the other things you mentioned, your volume has become too much? You may need to back things down until your body adapts.

Another thing since this seems to have come on suddenly is the possibility of illness? Many things present with pain from exercising.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you following a weightlifting program? Personally I found that as my runs got longer I had reaaly dead feeling legs when I was doing Stronglifts and it came down to squatting 3 x weekly & running 4 x weekly simply wasn't leaving me enough recovery time?

I also have the same question as rybo.... could you be more specific about the pain, does it feel like an actual injury or DOMS?

Do you feel fully recovered after a couple of days off?

It may just be overuse..... too much, too soon.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if you have added too much stress at once. Chances are you are using too much weight and too much resistance on the bike and elliptical. If you want to do that much cross training, start out easy and with light resistance, then increase gradually.

OTOH, if the pain is not just soreness, you might need to see a doctor.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Options
    It sounds as if you have added too much stress at once. Chances are you are using too much weight and too much resistance on the bike and elliptical. If you want to do that much cross training, start out easy and with light resistance, then increase gradually.

Why didn't I think of this... i routinely have been using a ton of resistance when I use these things.. I can just take it a few notches down and see if it improves! thanks :)
  • pgerzanich
    pgerzanich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would have a look at the body mechanics when using the elliptical. I have not used one myself but have heard that you need to be careful. Something about angle of loading the joints. Good luck and keep at it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options

Why didn't I think of this... i routinely have been using a ton of resistance when I use these things.. I can just take it a few notches down and see if it improves! thanks :)

A ton of resistance on stationary bikes is a great way to damage your knees.

Also, are you sure that your stationary bike (and real outdoor bicycle, if you have one) are set up correctly for you?
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Also, are you sure that your stationary bike (and real outdoor bicycle, if you have one) are set up correctly for you?

Yes I mostly use my real bike...and when i use the stationary bike I cranked the resistance up.. I will stop for a while doing that. Now that I think about it the knee pain only began when I started cycling more.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Yes I mostly use my real bike...and when i use the stationary bike I cranked the resistance up.. I will stop for a while doing that. Now that I think about it the knee pain only began when I started cycling more.

Keep your cadence up (80 - 100 rpm is normally recommended).
    It's primarily a cardio workout remember! If you want to do leg strength workouts then hit the weights, not the bike/elliptical.

Wearing proper cleated cycling shoes can make a huge difference too.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    One of the things I'm constantly having to remind my husband is that like it or not he's getting older and his body is not recovering the way it used to. He's 38 and a lifelong weightlifter. I am still learning to pace myself because I'm right there with him at 37.

Allow for the suckiness of aging.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have been a lifelong runner since the age of 12, and have never been injured or sore after a workout. Lately, I am getting sore unexpectedly which is making me put the breaks on working out. I am not sure what is causing the soreness. I used to only run outside or on the treadmill, and have since added the elliptical, bike and weights. I workout the same amount I always have for years which is 1-2 hours a day when training and 30min-1 hour when not training. I have had to take up to 2-3 rest days a week from the pain being too bad and being too sore to have a normal range of motion required to run or use the elliptical. My legs feel like I ran 2 marathons back to back. This has NEVER happened before. Being an avid runner, the biggest issue with this for me and my myfitnesspal goals is that since my workout day calorie burns are so high and I am so much muscle compared to fat, that I am ravenous no matter if I work out or not...and if I am unable to workout and burn those calories then I will definitely end up overeating and thus will not lose weight. This is so frustrating.

Any suggestions as to how to stop the soreness and to be able to keep up with my typical workouts??

I can also try eating less but it actually feels like starvation to eat 1500 calories a day when I typically eat 2600-3000 on my workout days where I'm running 10-12 miles a day.

If you're lifting, even though you aren't burning a large amount of calories in a short amount of time you are still building muscle and therefore will experience exhaustion. I read a few studies that stated over the course of 24-hours after you lift heavy you burn just about as much if you had ran for an hour (not sure the MPH that were stated, etc. sorry!) Don't eat less if you are working out hard and have a high metabolism. Just continue eating as you currently are for a month or so and see how your body reacts. If you are looking to put on muscle, you may have to eat even more.

As for the pain and unexpected rest days question - this never gets easier unfortunately. I lift for 1.5-2 hours and run for 30-40 minutes 7 x a week. I have a reconstructed foot which has led to knee, hip and lower back issues, countless injuries and a ton of unexpected days where I attempt a gym session and leave in frustrated tears. My advice is to listen to your body. Let it heal. Time off is necessary when you are training hard, your body needs to recover. This doesn't mean to eat less on rest days, your body is still working hard, building muscle and repairing itself. Try to find something simple that distracts you from feeling lazy. Make your rest days your hard stretch days. Spend 30-40 minutes doing isolated band work and stretches to not only help your body recover but also help to make you feel as if you did something.

I need to take my own advice right now actually LOL. I have been sick and skipped the gym yesterday, woke up today still sick plus I now have a really swollen eye from a tear duct infection and I still hit the gym for heavy legs + bench work and cardio and I'm still sitting here trying to force myself to do my arm session as well to make up for yesterday. Gonna be a long (sleepy) night LOL
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

It's primarily a cardio workout remember! If you want to do leg strength workouts then hit the weights, not the bike/elliptical.

Hi! Thanks you have been so helpful! What resistance would you suggest on bike/ elliptical? I do keep at average 85-95 rpm on stationary bike but usually have the resistance set to 11-14/20 and on the elliptical resistance is usually 10/20 at a 6:58 pace. I'm crazy I know lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Hi! Thanks you have been so helpful! What resistance would you suggest on bike/ elliptical? I do keep at average 85-95 rpm on stationary bike but usually have the resistance set to 11-14/20 and on the elliptical resistance is usually 10/20 at a 6:58 pace. I'm crazy I know lol

Sorry can't give you a number, depends on you, your bike and your workout goal.

The answer is the combination of resistance and cadence that gives you the desired intensity for that particular workout.

If I'm doing LISS for an hour at a low HR (Zone 2 work) then the resistance is going to be very different to a 20 min FTP test at maximal effort for 20 minutes. My cadence will be very similar though.
    If I'm doing intervals then I'm adjusting the cadence for the high/low intervals.

(By the way - worth rechecking your set up on the stationary bike, I see so many people training with the seat height badly adjusted and cycling with splayed knees.)