TOPS - Take off the Pounds Sensibly

Has anyone tried it? What can I expect?

I think I'm going to go to a meeting next week to try it out. First meeting is free so what can it hurt?

I found it looking for something Weight Watchery but cheaper. These forums are great, but I think an in person group would really help and I really need kicked atm.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited August 2015
    Considering their membership is pretty reasonable ($32 for a year), and they claim they don't sell any foods or supplements, it could be a reasonable support and accountability program.

It looks like they provide a exchange based meal plan (exchanges are what WW used before their present points system). These are another method of portion control.

Just remember, it still comes down to CI<CO, you can continue to log in MFP and use their meal plan as a structure so you can learn how many calories you're eating under their program. If the calories comes out low, you know you have some freedom to eat some more.

ETA: I just realized there's a $5 monthly local affiliate fee in addition to the $32 annual fee, so $92 total annually if there's nothing else. Still reasonable, imo.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Support is good, but calories in/calories out is the bottom line.
  • Cymricdragon
    Cymricdragon Posts: 13 Member
    I tried TOPS for a while. The first group I joined was in Maryland. It was a good group of people and supportive. So was the group in Tucson -wonderful people who introduced me to mall walking. The next group I was in was not supportive in any way. I was struggling and they told me I was obviously cheating. Bottom line is that is depends on the group you join. Some groups are great and others are not. The only difference between TOPS and MFP is the face to face interaction that you get. If you feel you would do better with that - go for it.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I prefer to not pay any money and have challenges with my friends.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    tops is okay. I havent attended my local group in a while, but I used to attend weekly. It can be a great source of support, but also quite a few foods were demonized in my local group, so you will just have to see what works for you.
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Does anybody come here anymore? After returning to MFP (after being away for 2+ years), I have decided to add an in-person component, TOPS. (I lost some weight in TOPS more than 20 years ago). The timing seems to be right to utilize both.

Anybody? Thoughts? Your experiences?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    My mom has been a member forever. Like anything, it works if you do the work. It's a generally positive place, and the price is very affordable.