Birth control and weight loss (females only, please)

Options
Hello MFP family, I have a question for females only (please). I have recently started birth control (Lo Loestrine), and I want to get other females opinions who have been on birth control before. Did you still have success with losing weight? I have lost almost 50 lbs, and I don't want all my hard work to go in vain. I still want to lose. I know I will lose much slower now because I am getting close to my goal weight (only 6 lbs to go - for original goal weight). When I was put on this type of birth control, my doctor told me I shouldn't gain on this birth control because it has low estrigen in it. What is your opinions/experience? Anything is appreciated. I haven't been on birth control before while trying to lose weight, so I have no experience on it. Thanks again in advance. I have been on it for almost a month, and I can say I don't have any major cravings (and I am still losing as of now - about 0.5 - 1 lb/week).

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    your body will adjust and you will still be able to lose. :) i have been on the pill for 12 years! and i have lost weight and gained it on my own accord... people say the pill really affects this but i haven't found that to be true. it may also depend on which one you are on.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am on a similar one called low ogestrel.. and I haven't had any problem losing weight.

edit--- In fact, I don't hardly get that PMS water retention bloat thing, and I don't hardly get any cravings. except for Chocolate chip cookies. lol that is it hahaha
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for almost 5 years, I was on it when I started losing weight, and I continue to lose.
  • MMillo
    MMillo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have never had any problems losing weight while on birth control. If anything if gave me less to worry about when my cycle was coming and my PMS cravings have been minimal, along with the water gain. Good luck!
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific proof that birthcontrol causes people to gain weight. Just eat smart, stay on track, and keep doing what your doing. Alot of peopel use birthcontrol as the scapegoat for weight gain.
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    I've been on birth control for 8 years and i don't feel that it effects my weight lose.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've tried both Nuvaring & Yaz. I haven't experienced any weight gain or difficulty losing weight on either!
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I first went on the pill, I found the weight a little bit more "stubborn" to lose. It wasn't hard, it was just a little extra push here and there. However, since then, my body has adapted and gotten used to the medication and now it's no problem. In fact, it helps a lot. No more cramps in the middle of workouts and no more worrying.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    your body will adjust and you will still be able to lose. :) i have been on the pill for 12 years! and i have lost weight and gained it on my own accord... people say the pill really affects this but i haven't found that to be true. it may also depend on which one you are on.

Completely agree with this! I gained weight when I went on the pill, but that was puberty and quitting sports, not the birth control itself. I've since been on it for over 10 years and went off of it for a brief stint, it has never effected me one way or the other.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems either and it would matter anyway. You have to do both regardless, right?

I just mean try not get preggo and try to lose weight, however that may work for you.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control for at least 6 years now and the only difficulty I've had was in finding the right combo of hormones/dosage amounts that agreed with my cycle. Of course, now that I'm on the right pill (Desogen) my cycle comes and goes like clockwork, I barely notice it! As far as losing weight goes, it doesn't affect you much at all. As long as you keep on your normal exercise and diet routine, birth control shouldn't make a difference.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I am on Loestrin. It caused me to gain 15lbs. However, some of that was welcome weight (I went up two cup sizes and am finally happy with my chest, haha). I was frustrated with the gain overall though. I'm managing to lose weight now, while still on the Loestrin, and I don't think it's hindering me. My body, after the initial gain, has adapted and I don't think it does anything to my weight anymore.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've been on orthotricyclene all year and it has helped. It's also treating my PCOS.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I actually think my BC might be the reason I'm having such a hard time losing weight. I was on the generic version of ortho tri cyclen and that stopped working as well for me (breakthrough bleeding halfway through my cycle). I've been since been "upgraded" to ortho cyclen (no tri - so it's the same dosage all month) and I feel like it's worse. I have horrible cravings for junk and the pounds seem stuck. Also, the only time I ever notice weight loss is "period week" and I'm hypothesizing that this is because I'm not taking my BC hormones that week. I'm going to stick with it a few more months and see if I "get used to it" and if I'm still having trouble, I'm going to see if I can get switched.

I have seriously tried everything with my diet and I cannot break this plateau. This is basically the only thing I have left to change. I hope you don't have this same problem!!
  • Chantelle160
    Chantelle160 Posts: 127
    Options
    Havent had any problems. I think its just a lame excuse for some people.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the comments - I feel at ease now. My body is still adjusting, so I am sure once I get totally used to it I will be fine. Thanks again!!!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i switched to loesterin this year from ortho 7/7/7. I did not gain or lose weight (i am not trying to lose weight, however i had no issues with cravings or appetite, so if i was, i feel i could have done so)

It did cause me to break out a little more then usual though. But that could also be the running. just my two cents!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have been on the pill since I was 16 (now 40) with a few years off for babies.

The main thing I noticed was when I changed for the combined to the mini-pill. I lost a stone very quickly!!

I put it on again but that was snacking for quitting smoking.

I haven't had a bleed for 6 years, never had pms, bloating or cravings in fact I could be the poster girl for oral contraception. I think it may take time for your body to get used to it but modern pills don't cause the same hormonal swings as previous.

martyxxx
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I never had issues losing weight while on a pill (maintaining was harder, though, I think), and I've been on just about every pill you can imagine in the 10 years I used them. The most difficult part of being on the pill for me was finding the right pill, not any weight gain associated with them.

I have an IUD now, and my body has definitely changed without the additional estrogen - my weight gain has been more around my waist than in the past, but I can still lose weight with it. If you ever have issues finding the right hormone combination with pills, or if you just don't like taking them, an IUD is a good option - just an FYI :)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different.

When I first started taking birth control pills (Alesse), I managed to gain 30 lbs in 4 months.
    I still exercised 5 times a day for an hour at a time, but my appetite was off the charts and I wanted to eat everything in sight.

I finally got in control of my appetite, but I only dropped about 10 lbs.

After 2 years of trying to find what worked best for my body (some of which caused depression and lack of libido), I finally stumbled upon Apri. Having switched pills is what made the numbers on the scale finally drop down.

I've had a number of friends who have had worse experiences with other forms of birth control though: 50 lbs gained in 4 months with Depo Provera, 20 lbs gained with the patch (then it being pulled off the market for causing cancer), and most recently, I had 2 friends try an IUD but they both experienced a 10 lbs weight gain within a WEEK.

...that's just my story though.