Help with carbs!

Options
Jetamu96
Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
Hey guys.
I wanted to get your opinion on this. If i'm eating carbs but keeping my sugars low, is that ok? The whole good carbs vs. bad carbs concept and all that.
I know avoiding sugars equals avoiding spikes in my blood sugar but will eating too many good carbs have a negative effect?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What did your bad carb do? Mine stole a dollar from my purse....

I disregard sugar. I don't consider any foods good or bad. What I do do is focus on getting sufficient protein and fat, and lots of nutrient dense foods most of the time. If I looked at "sugar totals they'd be well over, but I eat very little food with added sugar.... It mostly comes from vegies, fruit and dairy.

Do you have a medical reason to worry about blood sugar?
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean thanks for replying :)
    I have no reason whatsoever to worry about sugar. No history of diabetes in my family and I actually had a blood test recently and my glucose levels were well within the normal range.

I'm not really consciously trying to avoid them, i'm just eating a lot healthier and avoiding candy and fizzy drinks and anything with added sugar so they're pretty low. I also want to avoid the crash after a blood sugar spike as i'm going through finals at the moment and really trying to avoid mindless binging on snacks when I get tired.

I might go over on my carbs though through eating brown rice and other complex carbs but as they're slow release energy and i'm still sticking to my calorie goal i'm hoping i'm in the green :smiley:
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    The best way to avoid a crash is to avoid eating carbs in isolation. Make sure you get adequate protein and fat in every meal, and choose more complex carbs that are high in fiber (and slower to digest).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Limiting carbs will help with avoiding BG spikes and dips. Eating protein and fibre before higher GI carbs will help slow BG spikes if you do eat more carbs.