started jogging and gaining weight

Options
jayenguk
jayenguk Posts: 355 Member
So im 21 stone and have a long way to go, i was losing weight pretty steady from 23 stone and thought i will bring some exercise into it and started very slow jogging, since then i have lost nothing! i have put on 2 pounds and thats where i stay, i know it might be my body holding onto water, msucle building etc but how on earth do i kick start my body to lose weight I have such a long journey and its really starting to get me down. Someone please help!!!

Replies

• hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You will only lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter how much exercise you do. Weigh all your food and log everything you eat. You will lose the weight but it will take time and perseverance. Don't think about all the weight you still have to lose so you don't become disheartened break it down into 1 stone chunks. Treat yourself to something every stone you lose. Keep running and exercising.
    Well done for losing 2 stone and starting your weight loss journey
  • Fathater36
    Fathater36 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started at 232, lost 19 lbs in about 30 days eating only boiled chicken fruit and raw veggies , I also dropped a size, not much exercise. So start tomorrow and it will happen for you too. Just stay away from processed food, oil, butter and cheese.
  • jayenguk
    Options
    heya thank you for replying,
    i am loggin all my calroies, obsessvie weighing food and eating the same foods as before that is why its so frustrating and I dont know why the weight is now not moving.
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We all have plateaus from time to time. I know when I lost my weight that I sometimes I didn't lose anything for weeks then I lost 4 or 5 lbs in one week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start jogging/the weight gain happen?
  • jayenguk
    Options
    it was the week i started jogging i gained weight and its stayed the same ever since. before then i was losing 2-3 pounds each week.
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hard to say based on the information provided. What kind of timeline are we talking about here and what additional activity are you doing? You mentioned building muscle, but are you also lifting weights? What are all the activities you are doing and the timeline of all that starting and when the weight gain happened?

You won't build muscle by jogging and it takes time to build muscle from lifting. It "could" be some water retention for various reasons, depending on the above. But more often what happens is that people increase their activity and it makes them hungrier and they eat more. More cals above what you burn equals more weight gained. Are you carefully tracking your food intake?

At any rate, it all comes down to tracking your eating and coming up with the figures where you are in a calorie deficit . . . and that's how you lose the weight. Track very carefully over an extended period and adjust your calories down and/or increase your activity level until you see decreases again.
  • jayenguk
    Options
    so i am on week 3 of jogging and ive been losing weight for about 3 months up until i starting jogging it was a regular weight loss then as soon as i started jogging it just all stopped...im not eating anything different from before im still weighing and tracking all calories and drinking my water and not adding on any extra calories for jogging ...i just dont know why its suddenly stopped ..im wondeing if i need to drink more water i drink 2 liters a day plus sometimes cups of tea maybe its not enough?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Fathater36 wrote: »
    I started at 232, lost 19 lbs in about 30 days eating only boiled chicken fruit and raw veggies , I also dropped a size, not much exercise. So start tomorrow and it will happen for you too. Just stay away from processed food, oil, butter and cheese.

That first sentence is screaming for a comma :). Boiled chicken fruit sounds pretty bad.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP often overstates what you've burned, and if you eat all of them back, you could be wiping out your deficit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MFP often overstates what you've burned...

For running, it's pretty accurate.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Chances are it's water weight. Don't weigh yourself the day after you run. Also try eating only half of your exercise calories for a while.