How About Changing the % of Protein, Fat & Carbs?

Options
Hi all,

Three weeks ago I went to a dietician to get some advice on losing body fat (more context below):
This was her suggestion:
Kcal: 2038; Protein: 28% (144gr); Fat: 26% (57gr); Carbs: 46% (238gr) per day (6 meals)

I've been following this advice and gained about 1.5 to 2Kgs over those two weeks.

Last week I've changed the % of Protein, Fat, and Carbs to the following:
Kcal: 2038; Protein: 50% (263gr); Fat: 30% (70gr); Carbs: 20% (105gr) per day (6 meals)

I have since lost 1.5kg's again (doing the new, adjusted by myself formula).

My exercise schedule is: Cardio (80% of my max heart rate): 5 times a week; Strenght/weights: 2-3 a week.
Male
According to my DEXA/DXA scan, I currently have 14.7% body fat.
Weight 75.3 Kgs
According to the dietician, my BMR is 1899Kcal.

My ultimate goal is to get my body fat down to about 9%.

Any suggestions, advice, ideas, please?

thanks
Chris

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What were your macros breakdown before the dietician's recommended macros?

How long are your cardio sessions and how much are you burning?

Do you know your TDEE based on your own data?

Are you following a progressive overload weight program or did you create your own?

The weight loss after switching to your macros may be attributed to water weight loss by reducing your carbs from 238 to 105.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris,

For most of us, macros are really only important for satiety, which can indirectly lead to a calorie deficit, which is what is needed for weight loss.

However, since you are 166 pounds, you can't have too much weight to lose. Do slow your rate of loss considerably - a focus on weightlifting will be key to obtaining your goal of reducing body fat to 9%.

Are you following a structured progressive lifting program?

For reference for others who were curious:

88e7f628d0fe89fc6f87cdfa3abee858.png
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Three weeks ago I went to a dietician to get some advice on losing body fat (more context below):
    This was her suggestion:
    Kcal: 2038; Protein: 28% (144gr); Fat: 26% (57gr); Carbs: 46% (238gr) per day (6 meals)

I've been following this advice and gained about 1.5 to 2Kgs over those two weeks.

Kcal: 2038; Protein: 50% (263gr); Fat: 30% (70gr); Carbs: 20% (105gr) per day (6 meals)

My exercise schedule is: Cardio (80% of my max heart rate): 5 times a week; Strenght/weights: 2-3 a week.
    Male
    Weight 75.3 Kgs

thanks
    Chris

with body fat that low I would say do a recomp,eat at maintenance lift weights and cut down on the cardio, you will gain some muscle and lose fat that way but recomping takes awhile to do,its a slow process.also find a progressive lifting program and follow it.up your strength training to 3-4 days a week,maybe one or 2 days of cardio and a rest day or even 2.Unless you like cardio real well.but I would focus more on the training,
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

This was her suggestion:

Male
    Weight 75.3 Kgs

thanks
    Chris

I'm guessing you upped your carbs for the first 2 weeks, water retention.
    More than halved the carbs the next week, Water loss
  • chrissmit33
    chrissmit33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice and ideas.

Some additional info:
    My cardio workouts are: Interval runs of about 5km's
    Strength workouts are: 3 times per week (chest+triceps; 3 sets each, 10 reps; Back+biceps (3 sets, 10 reps); Legs+shoulders (3 sets, 10 reps).

For now, I'll keep my diet according to the same proportions and see how it goes.

I like the recomp idea; To have a deficit on non-training days.
  • loulamb7
    Options
    @chrissmit33 if you still have enough energy to support a progressive, heavy lifting routine at 100g of carbs, all power to you. Personally my energy levels would drop too much to do that for more than a few weeks.

Otherwise you seem to be focused on all the right things, calories to lose weight/fat and lifting to maintain muscle, to hit your goal of lower body fat.
  • chrissmit33
    chrissmit33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks at @loulamb7 for the supporting words.

Still a question or two for @CharlieBeansmomTracey : Why would I cut down on cardio? Would you think there are negative effects?
    I like the cardio. It's a good way of getting rid of stress and gives me time to think.
    And about the "recomp" (recomposition? I'm not native English): what I understand there is that on days of working out (=strenght/weight training) my caloric intake can be more. Possibly even more than my current caloric (total per day) target of 2100Kcal.
    On non-weight/strength workout days I should stay under 2100Kcal per day. But till how much can I go on a non-training day (but still might do a run when I feel like it).
    I'm considering a "cheat day" and 2 total rest days a week.
    Makes sense?

thanks again.

Funny the more I know, the more I ask ;-)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks at @loulamb7 for the supporting words.

Still a question or two for @CharlieBeansmomTracey : Why would I cut down on cardio? Would you think there are negative effects?
    I like the cardio. It's a good way of getting rid of stress and gives me time to think.
    And about the "recomp" (recomposition? I'm not native English): what I understand there is that on days of working out (=strenght/weight training) my caloric intake can be more. Possibly even more than my current caloric (total per day) target of 2100Kcal.
    On non-weight/strength workout days I should stay under 2100Kcal per day. But till how much can I go on a non-training day (but still might do a run when I feel like it).
    I'm considering a "cheat day" and 2 total rest days a week.
    Makes sense?

thanks again.

Funny the more I know, the more I ask ;-)

heres the thing,cardio doesnt build muscle,lifting does, you can still do cardio as its good for your heart and builds up stamina.I mean if you want to do cardio you can but I found an article by a man that many people trust that may help you decide and explains it better than I can .http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html/
  • loulamb7
    Options
    This is probably the best thread on recomp on MFP http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

You can partition you calories on lift and non-lift days or you can eat at TDEE everyday. Personally I would keep it simple and eat the same everyday, at maintenance.