Improving "up from chair" muscles

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
In the last few weeks I'm more consistently able to get up from a chair without using my hands to push up. I've lost enough weight and gained enough extra leg strength that I want to push harder.

I'm considering doing a set of ten chair ups several times a day. How do I know if I'm overdoing it and risking injury?

6' - 215 lbs

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That's really great! I'm a caregiver and that's an exercise I've encouraged for some of my clients. Pay attention to your posture and the position of your joints and watch for pain or clicking, especially in your knees. But if you're following those guidelines, i don't think you easily risk overdoing it. Throughout my childhood i remember my grandma doing 100 every morning without any rests.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I'm considering doing a set of ten chair ups several times a day. How do I know if I'm overdoing it and risking injury?

Overtraining can take several forms, but you'd probably feel overly sore, have constantly fatigued legs, or feel tired overall. Usually that can be avoided by ramping up slowly in your workload, and taking a day off periodically.

When those get easier, try goblet squats.
    Strength exercises like that are best done every 2 days, not daily. :+1:
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Yeah I also do squats with kettlebells, but not ten reps, and only part of my 3 times a week gym/strength training. Not quite ready for goblets
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    In the last few weeks I'm more consistently able to get up from a chair without using my hands to push up. I've lost enough weight and gained enough extra leg strength that I want to push harder.

6' - 215 lbs

Why don't you start with one or two sets per day and add a set each week? That will give your body time to adjust with less risk of injury. Do you work with a therapist or trainer? If so, they can help guide you based on your situation. Great work!
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Yes I have a trainer but he's away. He's very good, but sometimes I like other opinions.

BTW - I'm finding that the 10 reps I did in the morning is no so easy later in the day, so for the moment I'll only do 2 sets, not three