Exercise After Hysterectomy

Options
Hi all,
I am 6 months post laparoscopic hysterectomy, I have had a few issues but all seems to be good now. I was wondering for anyone who has been through it, how soon did you get back into 'proper' exercise and did you experience any problems. I am thinking of starting couch to 5k. I lost 3st before my hysterectomy and have put a stone back on since the op so need to get back into something.
Any advice would be appreciated xx

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your dr. In general for major abdominal surgery the vague generic rules are no exercise for a few weeks (6-8), then nothing straining the muscles in the abdominal area for a few months (4-6). What did your dr tell you?
  • alanaeheath
    alanaeheath Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    This is a question for your dr. In general for major abdominal surgery the vague generic rules are no exercise for a few weeks (6-8), then nothing straining the muscles in the abdominal area for a few months (4-6). What did your dr tell you?

He told me 6 months so I have waited as suggested apart from walking the dog and light exercise. I'm not sure how to get back into it so Couch to 5k seemed like a good starting point as it builds up steadily.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If your doctor said 6 months then go for it but pay special attention to any pain or discomfort in your abdominal area and adjust your intensity accordingly. Laparoscopic surgery is an amazing development that greatly reduces damage to your body caused by surgery which means quicker healing and less scar tissue but you still need to be careful. I had a laparoscopic appendectomy in 2009 and i was actually cleared for work after only about 6 weeks (at the time i was a stocker which meant frequently lifting 20+ pounds over a 9 hour shift) but i would get sharp pains in the scar tissue for several months after if i wasn't careful to move my body properly. I actually occasionally still get a sharp pain in the area probably a couple times a year but no other problems so I've assumed it's just a lump of scar tissue. Basically though just listen to your body.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great way to start running, but I would also encourage you to do some strength training. Look for threads on here about how to do that. There are about a million of them, so you will find lots of good info.
  • akmommac
    akmommac Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 weeks out from a davinci total hysterectomy and have now started jogging and light exercise. I was released by my surgeon to exercise at whatever level I felt comfortable with at 10 weeks. I've also gained weight since my hyst; 10 lbs in 3 months.
  • Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    I took it pretty easy after mine for fear of doing damage. I'd wait the amount of time the doctor recommended, and then slowly work your way into it. Just do what feels right for your body.
  • miztbaby
    miztbaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recently had an emergency hysterectomy, so I was opened up and have a large vertical scar. I’m 8 weeks post op and have been given the go ahead to start super slow (walking). I was a heavy lifter prior to all of this and am struggling with not being able to lift at all for some time. I’d love an add and any advice you’d be willing to give!
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a hysterectomy, but have had several pelvic/abdominal surgeries in the past 15 years that have left me with very little abdominal muscle strength. I do yoga or Pilates a few times a week to try and strengthen core muscles. They are stronger than they used to be. It has also helped my back which ended up having problems trying to compensate for the abdominal muscles.
  • ladyamparo
    ladyamparo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've recently had a total abdominal hysterectomy and I've been told to wait 6 weeks for lifting, but my doctor has allowed me to do some low-impact cardio at this stage (I'm 3 weeks post op) and walking, of course. I am excited to start lifting again!