Hiking shoes question

Options
kimny72
kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
So I started hiking this year. I got some Hi-tec hiking shoes on Amazon and they've been fine for the little beginner hikes I've done so far - 3-4 miles, we'll defined trails

But yesterday I went for 6 miles with some minor terrain changes, and when I got home the balls of my feet were really sore, it hurt to walk on them for the rest of the day. But they are fine today, no pain and no physical signs like bruising or raw skin.

What I'm trying to figure out - was that a fit issue, or just my wimpy feet aren't used to that much walking yet. I know ultimately if I want to stick with this I should get fitted, but the budget doesn't allow for new shoes right now and I'm wondering if I need to stick to shorter hikes until then.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Was it rocky terrain? Your feet may not be used to it yet. I don't use any special shoes for hiking, trail runners mostly.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Was it rocky terrain? Your feet may not be used to it yet. I don't use any special shoes for hiking, trail runners mostly.

Yep it was a little rocky. My poor pampered feet need to toughen up a little :lol:
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    I'm barefoot a lot. Barefooted makes feet strong.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I used my Asics alot but switched to Merrill moabs in the summer and my hunting boots winter. Moabs are ok, wish they had more ankle support.

Get moleskin, can be a life saver when a big blister forms and you still have a 8 mile walk back to the car.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I wear Hi-Tec, and mine are great. However, they were recommended to me by a VERY knowledgeable man in a well-respected hiking equipment store...I decided not to buy there because they sold really high end brands (I was just starting to hike and wanted to make sure I stuck with it before spending too much), and he gave me recommendations on where to look and brands that were good. He recommended Hi-Tec specifically because they are well made and a bit wider than many others, and I have wider feet in the front with normal heels.

So I suspect it could be fit...it the shoes are too wide for your feet, your feet will slide around too much, especially when going downhill (this can result in sore toes or friction burns among other things). They need to fit properly and be laced tightly to keep this from happening. Hi-Tecs are known to be a wider brand, so if your foot is narrow it might not be the best for you.

I doubt it is the rocks...I hike in Phoenix, and our trails are extremely rocky. If you have the proper shoes, that shouldn't be a problem.

But don't give up on your shoes yet...if you think there is too much slippage with your foot, try changing the lacing and/or wearing thicker socks. Sometimes that will be enough to make a difference.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your feet are sore from working harder than they're used to. It sounds line you have great shoes! No matter what shoes I've tired i get blisters by 3 miles tops. Wearing a double layer of socks has helped a lot with that though.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Awesome ideas, I'll try thicker socks and play around with the lacing next time. I don't have any blisters, but I did feel my toes hitting the front of the shoe towards the end of the hike, so it sounds like my feet were moving around too much in there.

Thanks guys!
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    I have lost a few toenails on hikes. Walking downhill will do that. Getting.a shoe with a larger toe box and proper lacing helps.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Have you got some proper walking socks? They're a bit expensive, but they're worth it for comfort imo.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Awesome ideas, I'll try thicker socks and play around with the lacing next time. I don't have any blisters, but I did feel my toes hitting the front of the shoe towards the end of the hike, so it sounds like my feet were moving around too much in there.

Thanks guys!

This is a lacing issue. There are different way to lace boots whether you are going uphill or downhill, and if you need to limit forward slide. You probably need a heel lock style of lacing, like the "runners' lace".
    http://www.backpacker.com/gear/common-hiking-boot-lacing-techniques

Personally, I like a shoe with a hard vibram sole, ankle support, and good toe protection for most hikes beyond a well groomed nature trail. I guess I'm a clumsy hiker. I also prefer 2 pair of socks, a liner made of silk or polypropylene or similar type of wicking, slippery fabric, then a heavier pair of wool blend outer socks.
  • Maddogpilot
    Maddogpilot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try Vasque, if your on rocks for any distance you might consider ankle support. Lots of shoes/boots from which to choose, I have a pair that's done 3 Grand Canyon (rim2rim), 4 Zion, 2 Bryce, etc, I'm taking them on the Gold Rush trail in Alaska this summer.

DON'T skimp. Nothing worse that your feet hurting.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I use asics trail running shoes, i used to use hiking boots for hill walking but its summer and the grip is honestly better.

Unless im out in the proper wet/snow etc I wont use them again. Ive had them in a bog but because of the material they are dry in 20 mins anyway.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I love hiking and the terrain where I live is very hilly and rough (NW England). Even low level walks I wear hiking boots; light Asolos for summer and Meindl for mud and snow. I only wear running shoes if running on level ground as I don't find them supportive enough on rougher ground.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    SRH7 wrote: »
    I love hiking and the terrain where I live is very hilly and rough (NW England). Even low level walks I wear hiking boots; light Asolos for summer and Meindl for mud and snow. I only wear running shoes if running on level ground as I don't find them supportive enough on rougher ground.

I always wore them but after doing the whw in my trail shoes I wont look back unless its that bad I need them.

Im north of the border. I feel the rocks just the same in either footwear, plus you can manoeuvre easier in them.