When someone doesn't believe in MFP

Options
SarahofTwins
SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
Where do I start? This makes me feel frustrated, confused, and disappointed.

My sister-in-law thinks this website is a joke and says that she can't rely on this website's calculations. Okay that bothered me a little because I've done so well and LOVE this website. That kind of hurt. But then asking me to support her page on another website which she titles herself "Fitness Warrior" that's another story. It's hard to support a family member who does not even support you but has NEVER said one word about my success in losing all the weight. It's funny that she doesn't believe in this site but yet there are SO many of you out there that have accomplished something so hard and work for. I know my husband explained to me that she is the "one upper" type but never understood it till now. I guess I should have listened but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and tried to be there.

This website has done GREAT things for MANY people and yet when I see someone who wants my support and doesn't acknowledge me back its pretty disappointing. Has anyone ran into this?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You've lost 79 pounds! Why doesn't she believe this is working? Okay, so the calculations aren't perfect. Neither are heart rate monitors. They just give us a good estimate.

Sounds like she's just the kind of person who can't be happy for someone else's accomplishments... I'd try to ignore it!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing the great work that you are doing! Don't worry about your haters, make them your motivators!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about her we know it works and you are proof. You look amazing!
  • tubbytabbytales
    tubbytabbytales Posts: 5,883
    Options
    Punch her in the face!

...okay don't do that. But a real punch in the face would you continue losing and prove her more and more wrong every day!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I keep my 'real world' friends and family out of my MFP. I'm here for me and for me alone.

Just let her know it works for you, and it may not work for everyone. Don't let someone with an attitude problem spoil what is working for you.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Some things work for people and some don't. Just don't let her get to you; you've done SO well!
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    You are doing awesome! I too know a few people that don't believe in MFP. But they also only gave it a chance for 2 weeks and were done with it.

Slow and steady wins the race. It takes time for your body to adjust! So yes, I have ran into this. My advice to them is to stick to it. But they haven't. I guess my -47 lbs isn't a clue that is does and will work!

I am a hardcore mfp'er:)
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i am friends with a one-supper, this sounds like something he would do/say. chances are your SIL is jealous that someone other than herself accomplished something! you're doing great!
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I do the same thing. I've tried recommending the site to other people, but they have to want to experience it for themselves. Just wish her luck on her journey and you continue what you are doing...You look AMAZING!
    I keep my 'real world' friends and family out of my MFP. I'm here for me and for me alone.

Just let her know it works for you, and it may not work for everyone. Don't let someone with an attitude problem spoil what is working for you.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I think some people need to do the weight loss thing differently. My partner abhors the idea of logging his food. I think he doesn't want to know. He'd rather work out like a fiend than have to watch his intake. Problem is, that way isn't working for him anymore, so he is giving this a shot anyway.

So maybe, your SIL is one of those people?

MFP works great for you however, you look fantastic! :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    Ignore her. She can have her opinion, and I'm guessing the site she is on will work as well as do a bunch of sites out there both free and pay. One is not necessarily better than an other, just different approaches. Her attitude is the problem, not yours or the accuracy of MFP. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • ItsJustVicki
    ItsJustVicki Posts: 104
    Options
    Forget her!! LOL you do what is best for yourself ;)
  • MissMom3
    MissMom3 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    She should be happy for you that you found something you enjoy and is helping find the healthier you. Sounds a bit like jealousy, maybe? You have lost 79 lbs, that is amazing!! Be proud of yourself and keep up the good work!!! =)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I've spoken so highly about this site, i.e. supporters, motivators, friends and even tghings I've learned that my sister joined yesterday. I'm not here to lose, but t otrack my lifestyle, i.e. nutrition and work outs, and the support and friendships don't hurt. I didn't even ask her or tell her to join, she just IM'd me yesterday and asked for my screen name. Best of luck in your continued journey!!! You are rocking!
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like your sister is maybe a bit jealous of the success that this site has given you, and perhaps if she did not do as well, that is why she said the things she said and created her own site to track her progress. I have experienced similar things with friends who claim sites like this are "pointless" or "stupid". I have lost 25 lbs on this site since May 14. That is crazy to me. You have lost 79lbs and are obviously doing what works for you. It sucks when the people in our lives cannot support us the way we want or need them to, but that is exactly why sites like MFP exist. We all want this and we all know how hard it is. Try not to let it get to you. Just keep doing what you are doing, because it's working!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    That's odd and unfortunate, really. While I don't trust a lot of the data here I can enter my own extremely easily and that counts for a lot. (And frankly, my calculations on here feel much more accurate and reliable than they ever did with weight watchers.) She sounds like she wants to be a fitness website snob (like people who want to get into a pissing contest over which HRM is best or where they buy their running shoes...) Frankly, results are the only thing that matters and you are proof that MFP works...and the numbers on here show it works for a LOT of people. I say let the snobs be the snobs...they're more interested in style over substance...you can be the REAL fitness warrior and continue your success!
  • yellerdog1
    Options
    For some people the only way they can lift their self up is to put someone else down. I wouldn't spend one nanosecond worrying about what she thinks. If it works for you, stick with it. Remember, the best revenge is to succeed. :-) Good luck to you on your weight-loss journey.

"You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to accomplish. I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It's their mistake, not my failing."
    — Richard P. Feynman - Nobel Prize recipient
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    you look FABULOUS!! When I joined months back I Thought that just logging on to do my daily calorie count & exercise would be enough. It wasn't cause 3 days later I stopped and went on with my normal life. Little did I know that introducing myself, making friends, utilizing the forums is really the key to finding success. Your husband is right she sounds like a ONE UPPER. She's a woman and its in our natural blood stream to be competitive. Don't let it get to you. I'd go ahead and "support" her on her other page by joining.

I'd ONE UP her in sisterly hood.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I totally agree. The only people I go into detail with are ones that are asking for my help with weight loss.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    You can't rely 100% on the calculations as they are only estimates, but that doesn't mean this isn't a great resource for tracking your caloric balance. Especially if the amounts you input are accurate.