How to make ground turkey... not taste like ground turkey?

Options
13»

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I like using ground turkey in place of beef in lasagna. I use the 93% rather than 97% or 99%, since the really lean stuff tends to be dry.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Try seasoning with powdered beef stock.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Try seasoning with powdered beef stock.

I'm intrigued
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued
    [/quote]
    Me to

• mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It's better when heavily seasoned, as others have mentioned. If you can put it in a sauce (like in a chili or in stuffed pepper soup) or season it heavily (e.g. to make soboro), you might have a better time with it. But YMMV. If you don't like it, it's not like it's a requirement for weight loss.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    tattygun wrote: »
    I add garlic, lime, coriander, chopped fresh chilli, sea salt and pepper and form it into burgers. Tastes amazing.

That sounds excellent. Might try that this weekend, thanks!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I only like ground beef for burgers. Otherwise, I use ground turkey because it's cheaper and I prefer it.
    Like everyone else said, season - mix with seasonings to make Italian or breakfast sausage patties, season when putting into a sauce, stew or curry, season when stuffing peppers.
  • SVeit28
    SVeit28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are a sausage lover, you may like ground venison. Can still use with a portion pork sausage for that familiar flavor but much healthier overall. I just double ground 250lbs of processed sausage with a predominance of venison and natural seasonings...great protein and flavor! I bet you could try the pork mix with grass fed beef mentioned earlier too...not quite as lean, but gets you closer to what you like☺
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't like ground turkey as much as ground beef, but some times its on sale way cheaper, so I get it then. I don't think the turkey is any healthier in the same fat% as beef. Its hard to say if it is cooking method, seasoning or if you just don't care for ground turkey. Season it up! It seems to need a bit more flavoring added than beef.
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Turkey taco soup.

1lb ground turkey
    1 reduce sodium taco seasoning packet
    1 reduce fat ranch dressing mix packet
    1 can of corn
    2 large cans of black beans
    3 cans of rotel

Cook turkey till done, drain fat. Then combine all ingredients( and ingredients juices) in one big pot and heat serve with toppings

Toppings optional but so delicious.
    Fresh jalapeño slices
    avocados slices
    Cilantro
    Cheese or sour cream
    Homemade Chips ( if your yolo).
  • figgy362
    figgy362 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sriracha works for me, I can't taste the turkey at all. The texture though... Still dry and chewy, no matter how much I try not to over cook it, it needs to be cooked thoroughly. I suppose some eat to live, and some live to eat. I alternate with both. We're not all the same people, thankfully :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey or ground chicken or both in the slow cooker meals I cook ... and to me, they're delicious! :)
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried mixing it with ground beef? Just wondering...

Yes. I make meatloaf half and half. You can't even tell.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ground chicken breasts is your friend. we made the switch from turkey to chicken a long time ago. still use grass fed ground beef on occasion. my wife cannot stand the smell of ground turkey cooking.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken is my suggestion as well. Or grass fed beef. And if you really like/want the sausage flavor use chicken sausage instead of the pork sausage. If you have a Sprouts Market near you, they make their sausage in house and the hot Italian chicken sausage is fabulous!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I recently tried ground chicken and I like it much better. Depends on what you're doing with the ground turkey, are you making meatloaf with it or putting it in spaghetti?