Panera Bread Menu

Options
So my husband and I went to Panera Bread for lunch. Every time I go in there I feel so rushed to order. I was trying to look at the calories listed on the menu. Beside Turkey Bacon Bravo sandwich it says 400 calories. So, I got the half sandwich and a cup of french onion soup (which I only ate 1/2 of) with an apple.

Thought I was doing so good right!! WRONG!!

The menu lists the calories for half a sandwich!! Even though you're ordering a whole one, the serving size is half. So, my half a sandwich was 400 calories!! If I hadn't been rushed I might have realized my meal was going to be way more calories than I wanted!!

I like it when restaurants list the nutritional info on the menu. BUT, if you're going to do it...don't be misleading!

Has anyone noticed other restaurants that do this?

Replies

• gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always order the salads with the dressing on the side.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Menu items and their nutritional data CAN be misleading, but I think you dropped the ball on this one. Serving size should always be one of the first things you look at. Also, you say "every time" you go to Panera... I would take the time to pick out a few menu items that are low-cal so that when you go, it's not so hard to order. Panera has a nutrition calculator on their website. You can also print the PDF and put it in your car. I do this for most restaurants I frequent.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    No different than any ofher food item you buy at the store. You always have to pay attention to serving sizes.
  • MOM2RYAN
    MOM2RYAN Posts: 6
    Options
    I've only been to Panera once and I noticed that. Their menu is intimidating.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think most restaurants do that. I noticed the same thing at Pei Wei Asian Diner (owned by PF Changs).
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    UGH I hate it when they do this. I always look online before going out. Same thing happened to me at P.F. Chang.

So my husband and I went to Panera Bread for lunch. Every time I go in there I feel so rushed to order. I was trying to look at the calories listed on the menu. Beside Turkey Bacon Bravo sandwich it says 400 calories. So, I got the half sandwich and a cup of french onion soup (which I only ate 1/2 of) with an apple.

Thought I was doing so good right!! WRONG!!

The menu lists the calories for half a sandwich!! Even though you're ordering a whole one, the serving size is half. So, my half a sandwich was 400 calories!! If I hadn't been rushed I might have realized my meal was going to be way more calories than I wanted!!

I like it when restaurants list the nutritional info on the menu. BUT, if you're going to do it...don't be misleading!

Has anyone noticed other restaurants that do this?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    on our menus on the boards here in reston va they list the half calories and the whole calories side by side, same with the soup, a bowl and a cup, I guess it's not the same everywhere. also don't get in line right away until you can fully decide what you want so you won't get that rushed feeling, and if you have extra time at their website you can build your meal and it will show you all the nutritional info for it.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    the boards on the ones by me have calories listed for both half and the full one... you might have just not been looking at the pick 2 part of the menu. either way 400 calories isnt so bad~!!
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Panera imparticular is rather deceiving. I've done calculations based on weights of food and actual nutritional data of those foods by themselves. There info does not come close. Some in a good way and some in a very very bad way. It would be better off not giving you any info at all. The macro breakdowns from there site are close for some and way way off for others. Some just don't even make any sense. Sorry to say panera but you have lost me as a customer since and will probably never return.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I always check the websites before I go. Panera has a great website that allows you to add/subtract things from your sandwhich/salad/whatever. I get the Asian Sesame Chicken Salad (no won tons) and it's great!

If you're not able to check the website or if they don't have the info online or on the boards, it's so hard to make a choice when you're rushed! Salads, whole grains, "grilled" and "steamed" are what I go for. I might not have made a great choice, but by choosing those, I know I didn't make a horrible choice!
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    I was just there on Sunday and the one in my town showed 200 cals. for the Bacon Turkey Bravo. I'm glad I didn't end up ordering it though because I thought it meant for the whole sandwich! lol
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    the boards on the ones by me have calories listed for both half and the full one... you might have just not been looking at the pick 2 part of the menu. either way 400 calories isnt so bad~!!

Same here- ours has the cals for the half and fill sizes side by side.
  • tiffwhit16
    tiffwhit16 Posts: 76
    Options
    Menu items and their nutritional data CAN be misleading, but I think you dropped the ball on this one. Serving size should always be one of the first things you look at. Also, you say "every time" you go to Panera... I would take the time to pick out a few menu items that are low-cal so that when you go, it's not so hard to order. Panera has a nutrition calculator on their website. You can also print the PDF and put it in your car. I do this for most restaurants I frequent.

I did say "everytime"...however this is the first time since I've been doing MFP. Didn't really pay attention before.

Some of you mentioned that they list half and whole. I think they might have. I just wasn't paying good enough attention. Will definitely check online first next time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Before I went to Panera I meal planned (as you know my now they have one of the more comprehensive nutritional and meal planning menus. I stick to the chose two and go either the veggie or the black bean soup and the chicken cobb salad without the cheese and I sub a half side of the thai dressing for under 300 calories.
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    I hate feeling rushed when ordering food, too. But I can't worry about people behind me in line or a pushy salesclerk. I now take my time, ask about ingredients, etc. Each Panera has the full calorie information in a binder under the cash register, along with a full documentation of ingredients. I've definitely had them pull out the binder for me before (I'm allergic to some foods and like to ask if they're lurking where they shouldn't) in the middle of lunch rush.

Like some of the others said, I have "go to" foods at various chains so that I feel comfortable going to them at any time. In the summer, I love Panera's strawberry poppyseed chicken salad - SO YUMMY - and seriously one of the healthiest menu options at that chain.

Live and learn, especially with eating out!