Headache after walking

Options
Friday evening I developed a headache while doing my daily walk. That headache has lingered for 4 days now. I drink plenty of water throughout the day so I don't think it would be from be dehydrated. I don't have blood pressure problems. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what may have caused this and how to make it go away? I haven't done my walking since due to my head hurting. Thanks so much for any help

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor, extended headaches can be a serious medical problem.

Have you been drinking to much water? Electrolyte imbalances can cause headaches.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It might not have anything to do with your walk, maybe it's a bit of a bug? I had a headache last week with sinus pain and a sore throat.
  • melfwhite
    melfwhite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, I drink 120-150 oz of water a day. Is it possible to drink too much? I wouldn't think that would be harmful. Tavistock, I have felt fine other than the headache. I probably should have mentioned also that I haven't had a normal bowel movement in several days. So I'm wondering if that may be causing it too. I just felt like the walk may have caused it since it started about 2 miles into my walk, like I may have stepped wrong or something. I just want it gone :(
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    melfwhite wrote: »
    I drink 120-150 oz of water a day

3-4 litres per day is quite a bit, but not unreasonable. Excessive water consumption can lead to a condition known as hyponatremia. As indicated above it just means that your mineral levels are a bit low. It's more often an issue for endurance runners and cyclists, who are also exerting themselves significantly.

As suggested a GP consultation might be in order.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

I used to suffer from migraines and they were often triggered by exercise. A migraine is different though - I had to stay in a dark room with a cool cloth on my head for 18 hours, couldn't eat or drink anything, and I wanted to die.

I just wanted to say that exercise did trigger them and it made me not want to exercise.
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get headaches quite frequently after running and make sure I am sufficiently hydrated. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference but regardless, hydration is crucial. If I drink too much it sits around my waist making me bloated! As others have mentioned, best to see the GP. Good luck
  • melfwhite
    melfwhite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I've googled several things and I'm hoping its where my magnesium may be low by the WOE I'm on. So I got some magnesium supplements and I'm hoping that helps. If it continues, I'll definitely be seeing my dr.