Gym routine

Options
So i just started going back to the gym, I like doing the elliptical for 30 minutes today i'm going to try for an hour but cant seem to get make myself lift weights and all that .. does anyone have a good routine they do?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i love the elliptical but i needed to change it up, so now i walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at an incline of like 6/7/8, and then i hop on the stationary bike for 30 minutes at level 10. I'm always nice and sweaty.
    I don't like lifting weights but i like using the weight machines...have you tried those?
  • Annamotion
    Annamotion Posts: 16
    Options
    I have Im just not sure which ones to use and how many set and reps i should do
  • monky13grl
    monky13grl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Really you should use them all. Just because we are girls does not mean that we shouldn't work all our muscle sets. And don't worry about getting bulky; we don't have the hormones to make that happen. Also, cardio burns calories while we do it, but lifting actually makes you burn a bit more every day since your body uses calories to repair and build the muscle. Start with the machines since they are easy. Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps, but make sure that it is actually a struggle to get to the end of each rep (ie- dont just start at the lowest weight). You should work each muscle group 3 times a week with a day of rest in between each. Depending on your schedule, you can do 30 min of cardio one day, and lift just the lower half, and the next day, cardio and upper body (don't forget that core needs to be added in and you can work that everyday since there are so many little subsets of abdominal muscles). Or you can do what I try to do and kick my butt at the gym one day and do everything so the next day I just have cardio. It's really about you. Don't forget to take 1-2 off a week from everything. Once you get used to the machines, you may want to start using freeweights since you use more muscle resisting them. If you ever have any questions about it, let me know. I was crazy about lifting in high school and college... got out of it for a while... but it really is my favorite feeling. You may want to see if the gym offers personal training. Mine did a free one for joining that showed us how to use each machine. If they dont at yours, and you are really uncomfortable, it may not be a bad expense for one or two sessions to learn a thing or two. Hope this helps.
  • Annamotion
    Annamotion Posts: 16
    Options
    THANKS! that helped alot!