5 Tibetan Rites

asugar
asugar Posts: 181 Member
Does anyone else out there know about this or practice it? I have started doing it again after many years of NOT doing it. I find it to be extremely invigorating. I am a lot older than I was when I first started yoga, so I was a little sore afterward, and started with 10 each instead of 21 (that is the max you are supposed to do of each Rite), but I think I am going to try to do this 6x week ... if anyone is interested in support and mutual encouragement; let me know! THANKS.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Do you have any websites about it? I think I've hear of them, and have some literature from my doctor, but I am not sure it's the same!

Edit - I had a number of exercises called "tibetans" from my doctor.
  • asugar
    Yes I found this one to be very good. www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Those are the ones my doc gave me! Helped out a lot when I was doing them. Then I got off track and my sheets got buried. I'm going to have to dig them out again. Thanks!

Oh, I started out doing only 5 of each, I got super dizzy on the first one!
  • asugar
    I do not do the first one because I get so dizzy. I just put my arms out and swing to the right and then to the left 10X--

a lot more enjoyable!
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    I have done them many times, I don't do them regularly though and I often wonder why I don't. I started doing them about 5 years ago and had to work up to it but was doing the full set of 21 for each rite. I love them! They are great for the body but have many other benefits as well. I found them in the book 'The Secret of theFountain of Youth' by Peter Kelder. When I first started losing weight this time I started all over with them and slowly worked up to 21, I now do them a couple times a week. Besides some of my friends, no one has ever mentioned them so I was very excited to see this post.
  • asugar
    I know not that many people know about them. I had first learned them in a yoga class about 13 years ago and then when I began teaching yoga about 10 years ago I started to teach them. Also, when I was in my yoga teacher training and I was 37 at the time; another student who was 40 was doing them every morning and she looked Fantastic, so it inspired me. I have never been consistent with them either, and i do want to be consistent. Sometimes my body just feels too old in the morning! I have about 15 lbs I'd like to lose so maybe this will help as well as the fact it makes me feel energized! Good luck to you and hope we can be "friends".
  • I know Im about a year late on this post, but I do these too. They have some other names such as 'The 5 Rites', 'The 5 Tibetans', or of course, 'The 5 Tibetian Rites'. They supposedly came from a monastery of Tibetian monks who have barely aged. The man who brought them to Ametica claims to have basically reversed his aging process using them. They are said to work by balancing and opening your chakras. I love them and feel great doing them! Namaste
  • I also do these as well and love them - but has anyone ever figured out how to add them to "exercise" or approx how many calories they burn? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    asugar wrote: »
    Yes I found this one to be very good. www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

I just checked the link.

I don't see how these Tibetan Rite exercises differ fundamentally from classic Hatha Yoga Asanas.

Kum Nye and Hatha Yoga are very similar, they're derived from a similar practice root imasmuch as Buddhism and Hindu are both expressions of the Indian tradition

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Nevermind. OP has deactivated. Hmmm...

Not surprising, since it was created in March 2012 :)

Thanks for the information, though, haven't heard of this before but am interested in yoga and Buddhism.
  • KetoMarmie
    KetoMarmie Posts: 1 Member
    Love these! The 5 Tibetan Rites totally boost my metabolism, give me energy, make me look younger than I am (early 50s and that picture is current), and feel so fabulous.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited May 2017
    y5av0.jpg
    LOL Zombie thread.....
  • phaedramitchell
    phaedramitchell Posts: 1 Member
    I've been counting them as 10 minutes of calisthenics.

if you continue to practice the first rite (starting slowly and building up) and transitioning into mountain pose for a few moments after the dizziness won't be an issue.

you won't get the full benefit of the first rite unless you perform it fully and correctly.