I sit most of the day

Options
I have to take two online courses this summer and so I'm sitting in front of the computer most of the day. When I'm not studying I'm at one of my two jobs. I don't have time for the gym.
Any advice for not becoming a fat slob?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn if you want to lose weight.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Squeeze in a mile run a few times a week. Total time to get ready and finish it should be less than 20 min or so.

Adjust cals to find your maintenance cals at your new activity level.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mental tiredness is just as bad as physical!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Ride a bicycle instead of driving. It usually doesn't take much more time to travel by bicycle and it lets you make good use of the time you would be sitting in traffic.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Can't you do squats and marching in place in front of your computer while doing your online course? I do this at work with much success - as long as most of what I do is reading/research and watching informative videos. I have to be more purposeful if I am actually active at the keyboard.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Work out at home, you don't need a gym. I do a video every day. Just make time, before or after work and school.
  • natasha_hal1
    natasha_hal1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same situation. I plan on just getting up a little bit earlier 3x a week to strength train and leaving it at that. Nevertheless, my Monday-Friday job is working with children, so I will get plenty of cardio. ;D
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Short 10-min workouts are effective. Do every morning.

Get a sit-and-stand desk.

Take a walk every once in a while.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    do a utube search for hiit/interval training for beginners. there r tons :) pick some short ones

An example
    https://youtu.be/wPpObC5PnwM

Do these at home n they take 10 to 20 min only. Good luck!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    On the online courses I've taken there was an option to print the transcript instead of clicking through all the power points and animations.
    I'd print it and then read it while on an exercise bike. Then I'd get back on computer, skip to exam for that module.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    On the online courses I've taken there was an option to print the transcript instead of clicking through all the power points and animations.
    I'd print it and then read it while on an exercise bike. Then I'd get back on computer, skip to exam for that module.

Good idea. Or could the OP use a tablet while on a treadmill, etc and view/listen to the class?
  • kf1834
    kf1834 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ^What everyone said, it's about watching calorie intake. I have a desk job and a long car commute (read: I sit all day)and if I don't stay below the calories recommended for "sedentary/no exercise " the weight creeps upward. Try to make an effort to get up and walk around for 5 minutes once every hour, for your brain as well as your body. And try sitting on a fitness ball while on the computer, it keeps your muscles engaged
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    set an alarm to go off every 20 min. when you are at your computer. When it beeps you get up and do 3 sets of 30 of something; squats, push-ups, crunches, or whatever. You should get up that often just to keep your blood flowing and give your eyes a break anyway, might as well gain some strength.
  • jeanawade7
    jeanawade7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sit most of the day at my job. I can't get up to walk around due to circumstances involving my work. I get up at 4am 5 days a week and work out to you tube videos with HASFIT. They are great motivators. For all fitness levels and ages. They are all free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and 3 days out of the week I have a 2 hour round trip commute. I get up early in the morning to go walk my dog. I usually go for a ride when I get home from work 3x per week...usually about 12 miles which takes me 40-45 minutes depending on pace. I lift 1 day per week in the gym and then again on a weekend day or Friday evening if I'm so inclined...I do a body weight routine on a third day which I can just do at home. I use my weekends wisely and I am pretty active on weekends...usually a longer ride and then I'll throw in something like a hike with the family or a trip to the rock climbing gym, etc.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Stop making excuses of why you can't get to the GYM. Walk while you are at your 2 jobs. Get up 15 min early and do a DVD.

I know there are a lot of people that do make excuses, but sometimes, there are people simply needing a different perspective. Sometimes new changes in life are overwhelming and even something as simple as finding a few moments in the day can get blocked in the brain. Benefit of the doubt.

OP- I also sit for my job....12hr days, in a medical office where I can't simply get up and do pushups or walk around in front of patients. I do take the chance though, on my breaks, to just walk around the building. It doesn't get my HR up, but I do get fresh air, and I get a change from sitting. There are some really great YouTube videos that you can choose a workout time frame on. Anything from 5min and up. Or HULU has a great workout channel that you can subscribe to if it is something you know you will be dedicated to. Getting up early is also a great way to get your day started. It's hard at first, but very worth it!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Get T25 or p90x3 both around a half hr. Should be able to squeeze in a half HR somewhere.