1200 calorie a day menu!

Options
Hey everyone! I recently got moved to 1200 calories a day and am finding it hard to put together a menu where I feel full and satisfied. Does anyone out there have some things that do the trick for them? Many have suggested salads but I know if I keep eating them I will crash in the long run and default to bad eating. Any tips help :)

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    whole wheat wraps stuffed full with veggies and a little honey mustard! that's what i always had for lunch when i was on 1200/day!
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Vegetable stir frys are great... look at my diary i'm on 1200 a day :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I always try to eat a protien, carb, and fiber at each meal, which keeps me satiated longer. Breakfast would be something like a strip of bacon, one scrambled egg, a slice of whole wheat toast and a couple strawberries (I am doing 1200 cals a day, and eat this for breakfast pretty frequently). Lunch would be a small turkey sandwich. Dinner might be some baked fish, wild rice, and a side salad. Snacks are always fruit and greek yogurt or a protien shake and granola bar... that sort of thing.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Plenty of protein, and avoid sugar as much as possible as it will cost you calories. I have been on 1200 since starting MFP and pretty well stick to it. I am hungry some evenings, but that's usually if I have burned some of my calories up in sugars.
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do you work out too? Maybe try working out, and getting a few hundred extra calories. 1200 would be a toughy. Try fish breaded in panko and egg substitute, grilled zuchini, 100 calorie bars, 60 calorie string cheese. These are things that I eat regularly that are wonderful and keep me on track. :)
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    take a peek at my food diary.

A protein shake and oatmeal is my stock breakfast.
  • imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    whole wheat wraps stuffed full with veggies and a little honey mustard! that's what i always had for lunch when i was on 1200/day!

WOW...I'm gonna try that
  • HansTied
    HansTied Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another would be a little chili w/o beans over a baked potatoe. Pretty filling without to many calories. Good luck
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Im on a 1200 calorie diet too. I exercise too so that I can eat those calories also. Look at my diet. I usually eat a very low calorie diet such as egg whites. Add me and take a look at my diary
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken check out my diary it may help
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

OOH! That sounds yummy! I am definitely going to try that!

I am on 1200 calories a day too...so I am really trying to find yummy and healthy things to eat too! Thanks!
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

OOH! That sounds yummy! I am definitely going to try that!

I am on 1200 calories a day too...so I am really trying to find yummy and healthy things to eat too! Thanks!
  • badblood
    badblood Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Plan your day out as much as possible food wise, if you are going to go over then plan some exercise to get the calories back. That's the beauty of this, nothing should be strictly off limits as your exercise can burn the calories off. It gives you flexibility
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    i'm also recently at 1,200cals a day! feel free to add and follow me :) i strive to be quite healthy! i like homemade soups as snacks and other high volume foods so that you get a lot for your cals! oatmeal or eggs for breakfast, salads and soups but with some bread so you don't feel too hungry :)
  • twintea
    twintea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    - make eggs part of your day - they will sustain you through the day - I do mine in the microwave ( 1.25 minutes) so easy in the morning when you are in a hurry
    - almonds too of course without the chocolate :-) and the almonds are good after excercise as well to keep your energy going
    - if you like oatmeal ( some people do some don't) have warm oatmeal cereal for breakfast and change it up with different raw fruits each day - it is a real filler and you will avoid feeling hungry in the middle of the day....and it is nutritious - by changing the fruit you do not get bored
    - drink your water throughout the day rather than all at once - sip sip sip and you will feel full....
    - Salads are great but they don't all have to be leaf lettuce - there are so many varieties that are yummy....tell me some veggies you like / don't like and I will share some recipes with you .....I hope any part of this helps you .....twintea :smile:
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese. A lot of Cabbage.
    Lean meat and some more meat and fish.
    Small portions of lentils or wheat bread or oatmeal.
    I eat every 3 hours and I am constantly stuffed.
    I have a hard time actually eating enough I try to force myself to have a high calories day every now and then.
    Never had problems with energy (was doing that P90X and sometimes 2 times a day) and if I am hungry i just eat 100g of cottage cheese and that always fills me up.
  • o4itsme
    o4itsme Posts: 16
    Options
    Oh my goodness best idea to create this post. There are a lot of great ideas for me to try! Thank you so much!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I try to think of ways to replace bread. Firstly have wholewheat bread, it has less refined sugar.

I have soup with rye crispbreads for lunch some days.

I have chicken breast in wholemeal pitta pockets with a little salad - good for solid protein.

Tuna salad - and I don't mean a few leaves, I make a salad of baby leaves, celery, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, carrots, cucumber, red/green/yellow peppers & radishes and throw in a whole tin of tuna!

If you're struggling, be selective about what fruits you have. Google 'low GI fruit' - Cherries are great when they're in season!

Filling up on water works. If you're hungry with a few hours before your next meal, try drinking a pint of water - calorie free and good for you to boot!

I'm on 1400 but feel free to add me and follow my diary for tips if you like.
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I HAVE A COOKBOOK 1200 CALORIE-A-DAY MENU COOKBOOK. aurthor is nancy Hughes...ISBN 0809236338...That may help too
  • KrissyChefBaby
    KrissyChefBaby Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    An apple is such an awesome filler snack. I used to hate it but it is my friend now. Also one whole egg scrambled up with egg whites. Veg sauteed with olive oil also helps me out a lot too maybe with some brown rice. Natures Own whole wheat bread (50 cal) with some peanut butter is good too as a snack. I'm on a 1290 cal limit and so far its pretty easy but I work out too.

Good luck