Giant "fair" turkey legs - 1,200 cals?

Options
infamousmk
infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
The standard listing in the food diary is 1,200 cals for a 16oz turkey leg. I think 16oz seems about right - those things are gigantic!! But I wanted to know what the MFP'ers think about that calorie quote.

Is it possible that 1] giant turkey legs are 16oz, and 2] those 16oz = 1,200 calories?

DISCUSS.

Replies

• beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    they are fried - ud prolly lose a bunch of calories if u peeled the skin off.
  • hclayton46
    hclayton46 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds about accurate, but agree with the above comment. Peel off the skin and I'm sure you lose some calories.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It is dark meat which means more fat, but it doesn't seem like they do to much to them but put them in a smoker. What are the calories for a similar amount of meat alone? Is the 16 oz with the bone?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If it weighs a pound, that's probably with the bone in. There's not a pound of meat even on those giant legs. The non-starred entry for a one pound turkey leg, roasted is 148 calories. Not all turkey legs are fried, either. You should be able to see whether or not yours was at the vendor. If they have a grill going, it's definitely not fried.

ETA: That calorie count includes the skin. It's in MFP as Turkey - Leg, meat and skin, cooked, roasted
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the number came from this article, but still I'm not sure it's right.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/fat-festival-calories-food-fair
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Rachel!! I'm going to debate this calculation on every forum I know. ;)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The article dissed cotton candy and lumped it in with fried foods?

Cotton candy: 171 calories/0 fat

That's just wrong. Out of everything you can buy at a fair, cotton candy is probably the least "harmful." :laugh: