sleep problems

Options
I am having trouble sleeping at night. I am taking 3 mg of melatonin. Doesn't work.
tylenon PM,doesn't work.
zolpidem,doesn't work.
I find myself eating and playing on the computer until sometimes around 5 in the morning.
I have gained 18 pounds. I am finding some of my
new clothes not fitting. What can I do to help with the sleeping problem and eating.
I have everything from ice cream to what ever I can find. Please help.:mad:

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out, as almost 2 and a half years ago, out of the clear blue I was hit with chronic insomnia. I can't get over that Zolpidem doesn't work! What dosage are you on? 5mg will usually knock me out. I also use Mid-Nite which is at Target. Chewable melatonin concoction. I would go to the dr and see what they can do. Also, keep the lights low..maybe take a warm shower/bath. Turn off the t.v./pc. Have you tried reading? I feel you!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Try "disconnecting" from technology for awhile. The computer can be an addictive little beast!
  • Jeanetta10
    Jeanetta10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Popcorn works for just munching. Don't buy ice cream! This helps with the eating.
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am an insomniac also but I have not found any long term solutions since this got bad in the past year. My sleep cycles are terrible and very irregular. Even exercising is not helping. I don't have any suggestions for you because nothing has worked for me as of yet, but I definitely feel your pain. I will keep an eye on this post too to see if anyone has any ideas. Hang in there!
  • inafit16177
    Options
    bump
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Ambien.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you have had this problem over a week call your doctor. I had this too, turned out I had an OVER-active thyroid.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You are not going to believe this, but I am finding I am sleeping a lot better & without interruption if I hop on the stationary bike around 9:00! You are NOT "supposed to" ever do this in all the sleep literature I've ever read.... Well - what do "they" know about my kooky little body!!!
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    if you feel you reeeeally want ice cream, but the skinny cow ice creams! buy them at target. they're cheaper there than anywhere else.
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    ambien turns me into a bear in winter. I'm out for 12 hours if I want to be. Besides prescription drugs, melatonin is fantastic. take a melatonin, a BANANA.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A few things that have worked for me...

1. If you have a computer or a tv on in your room....turn it all off 30 minutes prior to the chosen bed time. Never sleep with a tv in your room or a computer screen. Something about the light from the screen and your brain...I don't know the science behind it but if you do remove these items, it will give your brain a chance to calm down. If you need something to do... try folding laundry (its so boring that it puts me to sleep) or just color (pick up a cheapo coloring book at the dollar store...)... maybe read (this can be tricky as I have books that keep me up much longer than needed).

2. If you feel that eating is a big issue, tell yourself no more food after *insert reasonable hour here*... I go to bed by 11pm so I pick 9:30pm as my turn off eating point. I also brush my teeth right away as it is part of my night time routine already and this gets me in the "mood" to relax.

3. On the food part... donate or throw out the junk food and stock up with healthier options so if you do get the munchies...that is what you are allowed to reach for.

4. Are you drinking enough water? From what I have been told (and it is true for me), I sometimes forget that I am actually not hungry but perhaps really thirsty. I now am glued to my bottle of water. I am awful about water in general but when I get hungry, I do a "water checK' with myself, especially if I know I shouldn't be hungry yet.

If you feel that it is more serious than this, definitely check in with your doctor too... good luck!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Ambien.

That's what zolpidem is...
  • rdmelinda
    rdmelinda Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear! That is a difficult situation. You might have to try several things, as in the post above. Turning down the lights and not sitting at the computer or any screen can make a huge difference. You may find you have to be in bed by or certain time or your brain "wakes up" again - like a second wind. Maybe you're feeling tired at 10:30, but then you stay up to finish something and then you're awake again, so try to get to bed the second you feel even a little tired. Sip some chamomile tea. Make bedtime quiet, low lights, try to have your teeth brushed early so you don't wake up with the toothpaste! :) Look at your whole day...did you get exercise? Did you eat early enough so you're not digesting too close to bedtime? Do you need a relaxation CD at bedtime? Try writing your to-do list for tomorrow down on a piece of paper so you aren't thinking about all the million things. Read something that is "fluff" reading...not a tense murder mystery. No Criminal Minds on late-night before bed! LOL I wish you the best of luck and lots of quality sleep!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If this is something that has just recently become a problem I would see the Doctor. I occasionally have trouble sleeping and find that Temazapam (sp?) works for me. I generally find that if I can just get one or two nights good sleep then it will break the cycle and I will be back to regular sleep. It is also important for me that I don't do anything to stimulating right before bed (i.e. playing on the XBOX). I usually shut off all technology around 10PM then watch the news for half an hour before going to bed just to wind down. Good luck to you.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    A few things I would suggest:

-no TV/Computer 1.5hrs before deisred bedtime
    -develop a routine (washing face, brushing teeth etc...)
    -take a warm bath before going to sleep with aromas like lavender or something calming
    -drink chamomile tea 30min-1hr prior to bedtime
    -getting in the habit of meditating 5-20 minutes before laying in bed
    -remove all electronic devices from bedroom, even the alarm clock (set it far away from your bed if possible)
    -using the age-old method of repeating to your body "I am relaxed" while imagining all your muscle getting more an more relaxed - even starting from the toes and saying to yourself in your mind "my toes are now relaxing, the muscle are completely relaxed..." When you think they are relaxed enough, let go of the tension once more by taking deep breaths and imagining the tension leaving your body as you exhale... Do this from toe to head for every body part and I would be surprised that you would could go past the hips (if you don't let your mind get distracted and only think about how relaxe you're getting).

Another tip - if you say to yourself "okay, I need to get to sleep..." You are actually DOING something, which means you are NOT relaxing and letting your body shut down... It's important that stressing over no getting to sleep is an activity that gets the hr going.... Also, I would stay laying down UNTIL I fell asleep. And go to bed at the same time every night. Your body will get used to shutting down for bedtime.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second the chamomile tea idea-- it works wonders for me... actually I second all of that poster's advice. No screens, no technology... they distort your brain waves and make it harder for you to fall asleep.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Have tried pretty much everything everyone has suggested other than the hard core prescription stuff: I do have a low dose Elavil prescription. And nothing has worked!!

I'm looking to change up my routine once again to see if that makes a difference. For me, that will mean reading a bit before bedtime, rather than just going upstairs when I am ready to go to bed, and moving my workouts back to the morning once again.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i would suggest working out with the lights out near your bed until you are sweating like crazy. Then lay down and wake up the next morning :D

Also, drinking Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time tea is 0 calories so worth a try (or you can try hot milk with a few drops of almond extract).

I hope this helps :smile: I've been there, and usually it has to do with stress for me --- are you stressed?