spiralizer

Options
luvluv1234
luvluv1234 Posts: 79 Member
Hi! I just got spiralizer. Does anyone have any low calorie recipes to share? Thanks in advance! Risa

Replies

• Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello here one. Take your pick from zucchini, or yellow squash. Spiralize it. Walk it in a high heat skillet to your desired taste. In a little blender mix balsamic vinaigrette, raw honey, and black pepper. Choose some type of cooked protein like chicken, egg whites, steak or more veggies. Combine dressing, protein and noodles. Eat and enjoy. Its a little sweet dish.
  • luvluv1234
    Options
    Thanks!
  • luvluv1234
    Options
    Wow! Thanks!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    That recipe site looks great! As to the spiralizer, I've become more reluctant over the years to buy kitchen gadgets, because so many of them just end up unused in a drawer, or are more hassle than worth it. Who has one and is happy with it? What brand? Thanks!
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bought some super cheap spiralizer that you turn the veggies on a blade that looks like a small food processor disk. I wish I knew the brand (no words on it). Easy to clean should be high on the list for whichever you buy. The one I have has no moving parts.

Last night I spiraled a zucchini to make scampi. First I quick sauteed a couple chopped garlic cloves in 2 sprays of olive oil (you can use less garlic) then after only about a minute i added the zucchini and cooked until thoroughly heated and tender but not mushy. I added salt & pepper. Added a splash of milk (literally a quick splash less than 1/8 cup or a couple tablespoon - a tiny bit of cream would be better) just to mimic a sauce and let it heat through and mix with the veggies. Very quick cooked some peeled shrimp and added it to the zucchini for a quick stir to get "sauce" on all of it.

It was really good. I'll never be fooled that pasta isn't in it but it is a delicious much lower calorie and filling meal. You veggie & shrimp weighed amount portions should be what fits your calories.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    That recipe site looks great! As to the spiralizer, I've become more reluctant over the years to buy kitchen gadgets, because so many of them just end up unused in a drawer, or are more hassle than worth it. Who has one and is happy with it? What brand? Thanks!

I have a Paderno and love it. I use it just about every day.
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

the one i have was a freebie for buying a cookbook. its a cylinder/tube shape with a blade that you twist the veggies against. no moving parts. easier to clean than the one my daughter had though. she had one that was shaped like an hourglass with blades on the sides - you twisted the veggies into the "cones" on the hourglass. (if that makes any sense) it was nearly impossible to clean out all the peelings and bits of veggies left.

i may invest in a better one now that Queenmunchy shared that recipe site!
  • luvluv1234
    Options
    That looks amazing! The crunchy asian lime peanut slaw sounds awesome also! thanks!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Spiralizer. I use it weekly. Zucchini with a bolognese sauce is to die for. My son who is a pasta guy says he prefers the zuchinni. Just make sure you put it in a saute pan and lightly fry (you can use a teaspoon or two of olive oil if you want) to remove some of the excess water otherwise your sauce will be very runny. Pinterest has a ton of recipes too. I usually do carrots with a low fat alfredo sauce (light cream cheese, low fat milk, chicken broth, fresh garlic, onions, mushrooms and some good parmesean). You won't regret your purchase if you make a point of using it.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am making that -- thanks for the link!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just checked on amazon, and wow, there are so many different ones, it's really hard to choose! I'll check the local Walmart and the kitchen store, maybe I find one that I can really look at before buying.
  • luvluv1234
    Options
    Thank you! That carrot alfredo sounds amazing!
    I absolutely love my Spiralizer. I use it weekly. Zucchini with a bolognese sauce is to die for. My son who is a pasta guy says he prefers the zuchinni. Just make sure you put it in a saute pan and lightly fry (you can use a teaspoon or two of olive oil if you want) to remove some of the excess water otherwise your sauce will be very runny. Pinterest has a ton of recipes too. I usually do carrots with a low fat alfredo sauce (light cream cheese, low fat milk, chicken broth, fresh garlic, onions, mushrooms and some good parmesean). You won't regret your purchase if you make a point of using it.

• luvluv1234
    Options
    I bought mine on amazon. It's the one made by farberware. I like it but I haven't used any others to compare it with.
    I just checked on amazon, and wow, there are so many different ones, it's really hard to choose! I'll check the local Walmart and the kitchen store, maybe I find one that I can really look at before buying.

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I have the cheap little cone shaped spiralizer from walmart. After reading this thread, seeing photos, and seeing store bought zoodles the other day I realize how lousy it is. I might have to get a "good" spiralizer. Because this all looks and sounds pretty dang tasty.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    When low on calories for the day, I put a poached egg over zoodles with some sriacha, (150 calories and filling). Or sometimes just a spray of olive oil and salt and pepper. You can make a bunch of Zoodles (pull out any really wet parts) and store in an airtight container for up to a week. Oh last one, if starving, I'll dump a lean cuisine shrimp Alfredo over zoodles (250 cal).
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Honestly? Buy a nice Mandoline. They can do a tonnn of useful things, and you can still cut veggies into thin noodles. The spiralizer cuts out the core, which is nice. But spiral noodles are strictly an aesthetic thing imo. Nothing wrong with eating straight noodles.

Most chefs are not a fan of kitchen gadgets that do one novelty thing and nothing else, but you won't find any that dislike a mandoline. I like spiralizers, don't get me wrong! But if space is an issue it's just another luxury gadget that's going to be stuck in the back of a cupboard.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

Honestly? Buy a nice Mandoline. They can do a tonnn of useful things, and you can still cut veggies into thin noodles. The spiralizer cuts out the core, which is nice. But spiral noodles are strictly an aesthetic thing imo. Nothing wrong with eating straight noodles.

Most chefs are not a fan of kitchen gadgets that do one novelty thing and nothing else, but you won't find any that dislike a mandoline. I like spiralizers, don't get me wrong! But if space is an issue it's just another luxury gadget that's going to be stuck in the back of a cupboard.

I'm with you. I love my mandoline. I actually won a really nice Kitchenaid one through our local newspaper with a recipe contest. That was about 8 or 9 years ago and it is still working perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KC310BXERA-Mandoline-Slicer-Red/dp/B005D6G5HS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496760149&sr=8-2&keywords=kitchen+aid+mandolin
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use the Good Grips Spiralizer based on the review from sweethome http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-spiralizer/

My absolute favorite thing is spiralized sweet potatoes. I make them a few times a week. Either as a pasta replacement with spaghetti sauce, or just sauteed and served as is. http://inspiralized.com/sweet-potato-noodles-with-garlic-kale-and-pork-chops/