Bulking and cutting

Options
I'm slightly confused. Ive read before if you wanted to bulk up you had to lift fewer reps with a heavier weight and to cut/ tone up lift a lighter weight for more reps.

However what I've been reading recently is that it's all about nutrition. So to bulk up eat more calories and cut eat less.

So does it matter what type of weights routine you are doing or not? I'm really confused.

Thanks

Replies

• Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your goal is, but I just finished competing. When I was bulking, my trainer increased my carbs and I was doing 4 sets of 8, lifting heavy. When I was leaning, he cut down on my carbs and I was lifting 4 sets of 15 at a lighter weight.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I think you might be confusing hypertrophy vs strength training based on sets and reps. Don't pay attention to that anyway. What psuLemon says above, all rep ranges are beneficial, in general while lifting heavy, do less reps, lifting light, do more reps. 3-5 sets of any exercise should be enough.

Nutrition determines if, and how much you will gain weight or not. Progressive overload determines what percent of that is muscle or fat.
  • justcallmeBD
    justcallmeBD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From what I've experienced, it's all about diet Bro. Increase those Carbs for Bulking. Decrease them for Cutting & add @ least 30 min Cardio.
  • AminBahgat
    AminBahgat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Diet is the key
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    mifow86 wrote: »
    I'm slightly confused. Ive read before if you wanted to bulk up you had to lift fewer reps with a heavier weight and to cut/ tone up lift a lighter weight for more reps.

However what I've been reading recently is that it's all about nutrition. So to bulk up eat more calories and cut eat less.

So does it matter what type of weights routine you are doing or not? I'm really confused.

Thanks

For hypertrophy one should do higher rep schemes with lower weights. Something like 20 reps with minimal rest in between sets is ideal

For strength one should be closer to 1RM.

Combination of both hypertrophy and strength is basically in the middle of the stress stimulas at 5 reps.

A training routine selection has more to do with your goals.

Since you're a novice, you will be able to gain both strength/muscle fairly easily initially if you create proper muscle stimulas, recovery, and adaptation.

Calories are king on a bulk and are pawns on a cut. Don't let the game play you.

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Thanks

For hypertrophy one should do higher rep schemes with lower weights. Something like 20 reps with minimal rest in between sets is ideal

Combination of both hypertrophy and strength is basically in the middle of the stress stimulas at 5 reps.

Since you're a novice, you will be able to gain both strength/muscle fairly easily initially if you create proper muscle stimulas, recovery, and adaptation.

Calories are king on a bulk and are pawns on a cut. Don't let the game play you.

I thought Hypertrophy was more like 8-12?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    I think you might be confusing hypertrophy vs strength training based on sets and reps. Don't pay attention to that anyway. What psuLemon says above, all rep ranges are beneficial, in general while lifting heavy, do less reps, lifting light, do more reps. 3-5 sets of any exercise should be enough.

Nutrition determines if, and how much you will gain weight or not. Progressive overload determines what percent of that is muscle or fat.

And this is also true, while I personally feel like I gain size from the higher reps and more strength from lower reps and higher weight, but I both in my routine.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

Thanks

It is... at 20 rep sets you would be using very light weights and would be training for endurance almost exclusively and not size (hypertrophy). Minimal rests between sets also goes with conditioning/endurance and not hypertrophic growth.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The difference is mostly portions and intake. More to bulk. Less to cut. You can alter macros if you want to really drill into it but it's mostly how much you eat.

As for rep ranges that depends entirely on your goals. I'd sit around the middle to lower rep ranges for muscle growth and cutting. The main thing to remember is always loak to improve the amount of weight you lift on a bulk and at least maintain that level on a cut.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

Thanks

Hypertrophy may be easier to achieve is thr 8 to 12 rep range but it can occur across a wide range of rep/set combos. Brad Schoenfeld did a study last year showing this.