Gaining weight

Options
I am dieting to lose weight before my vacation. And I just gain weight. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Is it normal to gain before you lose?

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Are you in a calorie deficit?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you weigh everything you eat with scales?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How long have you been attempting to lose weight for? Are you doing this through diet alone, or have you added new physical activity into the mix? How much weight are you trying to lose and in what time frame?

We need more specifics in order to help you. :)
  • emassey2
    emassey2 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There are days where I don't eat all my calories, I measure food through calories, and it's only been about 2 week and I do work out almost everyday. I don't know if it's the muscle that I am gaining but it's irritating
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You can't know anything in a week. There are too many variables. If, and it's a big if, you are measuring and weighing your intake correctly, and are in a caloric deficit, you will burn fat. You also cycle through fluid retention for many reasons (whether you are "dieting" or not), so you can't always see progress on a scale.

You can get better answers on the forums is you provide the following info:

Age, height, current weight, how intense and duration of your workouts. Also, how close are you to your goal weight?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    emassey2 wrote: »
    There are days where I don't eat all my calories, I measure food through calories, and it's only been about 2 week and I do work out almost everyday. I don't know if it's the muscle that I am gaining but it's irritating

If you are in a calorie deficit - aside from some newbie gains - you are unlikely to be building muscle. That generally happens only in a calorie surplus and is a *very* slow and deliberate process.

However, since you are working out every day now and it's only been a couple of weeks, chances are you're retaining water that is being used for muscle repair. Water weight gain is *not* the same as fat weight gain, even though they look identical when you weight yourself.

Give your body some time to adjust to your new routine and if you truly *are* in a calorie deficit, the scale should start to go down soon. :)

When is your vacation, and how much are you trying to lose before then? Also, what is your height and current weight?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Are you biologically female? Because 2 weeks randomly selected for me can show a weight "gain" of 6 to 10 lbs, entirely hormone - driven water retention.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

It isn't muscle, especially after only 2 weeks, but you will hold some water weight for muscle repair. Also, weigh all solids, measure all liquids, and count everything that passes your lips, no exceptions. This includes coffee creamer, mints, drinks, taco seasoning, cooking sprays, everything. Also, understand that your weight will fluctuate several pounds from day to day and even more do to hormones. It is way to soon to worry. Just make sure your counting is accurate and then give it a little time.

q0ipwya3ztqe.jpg
  • emassey2
    emassey2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I was in a rush and didn't make my self clear. Yes I am biologically a female. I have been an active work out lifter for about 2 years until I got sick and gained weight and lost muscle. I am measuring by calorie through what the serving size says. What I am not understanding was in the beginning of my journey of 2 years prior to now I was shedding the weight and cutting. But now it seems like my body hates me and doesn't want to coroperate.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    So I was in a rush and didn't make my self clear. Yes I am biologically a female. I have been an active work out lifter for about 2 years until I got sick and gained weight and lost muscle. I am measuring by calorie through what the serving size says. What I am not understanding was in the beginning of my journey of 2 years prior to now I was shedding the weight and cutting. But now it seems like my body hates me and doesn't want to coroperate.

You need to weigh using a food scale. You are probably consuming more calories than you think.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if you're not putting your food on scales, you're eating more than you think.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If you're only using maturing cups and spoons, then you're consuming more calories than you think.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

It's an energy balance. Your body has no choice but to cooperate. If you have fat to lose, you will lose it in a deficit, guaranteed. But while your fat loss rate may be close to linear (and takes time), other weight factors are larger in the short term. Water retention, which your body does for various reasons - many of those reasons are beneficial - can affect the scale far more than your fat loss - in the short term.

Use a food scale to verify your servings. This is especially important for foods that are more dense in calories (like nut butters, mayo, etc.).

Have patience. It may take 4-6 weeks to be able to tell whether you have your calorie deficit in the place it should be. Hard to know because we don't know how much weight you have/want to lose.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you've increased your exercise (and are definitely in calorific deficit) I can nearly guarantee it's water weight gains because your muscles are in repair (either that or it's water weight because of your menstrual cycle). It's unavoidable and you'll drop that water weight soon. Give it another few weeks. If you're in calorific deficit and you're measuring your cals accurately you will have been losing fat the water weight is just masking it.

So to answer your question, yes it's totally normal to gain water weight if you've started exercising more, 2 weeks is not enough time to add any significant muscle weight though (especially as a female in a calorific deficit) so you won't be seeing that on the scale yet.