Garmin Vivoactive HR?

Ann262
Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey! I am thinking of getting the Garmin Vivoactive HR. Have any of you tried it? Do you like it?

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I just got one and today was my first day with it. I had several fitbits over a couple of years and I have to say that so far I am VERY pleased with the Garmin. I have had a fitbit Flex twice and the Fitbit Charge HR which died after only a few months.

The device itself gives a huge amount of information. The display is pretty easy to ready. The Dashboard and App both provide great info and in more detail than I got from the Fitbit(although I know they have also updated a lot of things in recent months)

So far I notice that the Garmin is crediting me for a lot less activity than the Charge ever did on the same sort of work day. Considering that I was gaining weight when trusting the Fitbit's data I figure that it is a pretty good thing. I am not quite ready to trust it to the point of allowing it to adjust my daily calorie goals though. I mainly have it because I like having lots of data.

I bought a rebuilt model on Amazon and paid the extra $8 for the extended warranty and it was well under $100. Ordered and it arrived in 2 days as promised and I can't really tell that it isn't brand new.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Love mine. It seems pretty close on activity level and calories burned. Plus it is pretty flexible in what activities iit covers.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    I've used one since the original Vivoactive. No complaints at all. Just wish it monitored open water swimming and not just the pool. I have marathons, triathlons, and many training miles on mine. It's still going.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    The studies I have seen indicate that Garmin underestimates calorie burn by about as much as Fitbit overestimates it. Nobody gets it exactly right but you can kinda choose whether you want to overestimate or underestimate.
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    I have had one for a few months and use it to set my calorie budget. Works great, losing weight right on track.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Thanks for all your replies!! It really helps in my decision making! It is the only one that has everything I want that is under $500
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Love mine, I used another user's spreadsheet to work out how accurate it was and it's about 2% underestimate, so fairly accurate. I have used it for walking, running, hiking, strength training, cardio workouts, yoga and lap swimming.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    I've been pleased with mine, but be warned...Garmin tech support is barely above awful.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I had one a while back and it was pretty good. I like the more advanced metrics, so I went with the fenix 5x.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    The studies I have seen indicate that Garmin underestimates calorie burn by about as much as Fitbit overestimates it. Nobody gets it exactly right but you can kinda choose whether you want to overestimate or underestimate.

I think Garmin estimates the active calories very close compared to other fitness devices that way over estimate. with other devices I usually only eat back half the active caloreis, but with my Garmin fenix 5x I can eat them all back.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I've been pleased with mine, but be warned...Garmin tech support is barely above awful.

They were spot on when I was dealing with them - quick to respond and super helpful.
  • ErinMichelle31
    ErinMichelle31 Posts: 29 Member
    I have the Garmin VivoFit2, and I can't live without it! I especially love that you don't have to charge it, so it really accurately tracks my sleep patterns. I've heard that it underestimates calories burned, but that just makes me like it more. Some days I have eaten back up to 1,000 extra calories that the Garmin said I burned, and I have continued to lose weight because it doesn't overestimate. I recommend it to everyone! Plus, because I went with the VivoFit2, and the Vivofit3 had already been released, it was very affordable (around $90 including the HR Monitor). The HR monitor also came already synced up with the device which I thought was fantastic. I recommend this device to everyone who will listen!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    They were spot on when I was dealing with them - quick to respond and super helpful.

When I've had to deal with them, Garmin's support has been pretty good. If you have an issue, call them on the phone. I've heard plenty of stories of people trying to get support by email and it going poorly, but the people who answer the phones seem to know what they're talking about and they're empowered to send you a replacement device if necessary.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Big fan of Garmin products. Have the Vivoactive HR, (also 910xt). Works well. I have noticed that the mileage appears to be off. For example, a 3.1 mile run typically shows 3.25. Lots of trees in the way, so could be an issue. The difference really does not bother me, but it could bother others.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member

When I've had to deal with them, Garmin's support has been pretty good. If you have an issue, call them on the phone. I've heard plenty of stories of people trying to get support by email and it going poorly, but the people who answer the phones seem to know what they're talking about and they're empowered to send you a replacement device if necessary.

+1
    My wife got an early vivofit. Didn't work. They send a replacement real quick
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Same with me. That said of the 9 assorted Garmin devices I've used only one had an issue that needed me to get in touch with them.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    scorpio516 wrote: »

+1
    My wife got an early vivofit. Didn't work. They send a replacement real quick

I knew somebody who bought an Edge 520 bundle with the chest strap HRM. The chest strap died 9 months later. He called Garmin, told them, and then sent him a new bundle with a new HRM and a new 520. When he called back, they told him to keep it.