P90x and 1/2 Marathon Training?

Options
Sorry if this is duplicated elsewhere, I tried searching for answers and couldn't come up with what I am wanting to ask.

I am working through a 1/2 marathon training schedule. A 10-week program that has me running 4 days a week (except that I am actually running 5 or 6 days a week because I enjoy running). However, I am also wanting to start toning up and strengthening up and wanting to do so via P90x. If I do P90x in the early morning and then do my running in the evening am I likely to overdo it? Can I do both simultaneously without sacrificing on one for the other?

I realize I could probably do some hybrid of both but I don't want to do less than the 4 days a week running with the 1/2 marathon training program. Maybe I am just being too antsy and should just finish the 1/2 marathon training then do P90x in September...I dunno. Currently I am up at 5 am and doing 30 Day Shred with the wife. Then I run 3-6 miles after work in the evening. This is working just fine for me now. But I am not sure with the higher intensity of P90x that I could as easily do it with the running, especially as the running intensifies to 9-12 miles runs. Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too.

I begin training on 8/6 for my next half and I currently do p90x (only the weight days, on the cardio days, I run instead). I have heard both that weight training and endurance training can be counterproductive, because why do you want to bulk up if you are trying to become faster and more efficient. Then I also read weight training will help make you faster.

So I am going to run three days and weight train three days and see how I feel. I am pretty new to weight training, so I can't see how it can be that detrimental. I currently don't have much muscle to "bulk up" so it can only help.