Frozen dinners

Hi, I'm a poor student so I try and make my meals in bulk and then freeze them. I'd like some ideas of foods, mainly revolving around chicken, that I could prepare and freeze.
As weight loss preferably low cal.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Chicken sauteed with peppers and onion, over rice. Chicken and broccoli with alfredo sauce. Chicken and broccoli with a can of cream of chicken soup and shredded cheese (baked together). Bake chicken/green beans/potato in a pan with seasoning of your choice.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Hi, I don't do this but I see LOTS of meal-prep posts on Pinterest. You may want to look there as well.
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Chicken sauteed with peppers and onion, over rice. Chicken and broccoli with alfredo sauce. Chicken and broccoli with a can of cream of chicken soup and shredded cheese (baked together). Bake chicken/green beans/potato in a pan with seasoning of your choice.

Does broccoli freeze well?
  • yesjessiam
    yesjessiam Posts: 3 Member
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of healthy meal prep and a lot of it is freezer friendly.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    edena001 wrote: »

Does broccoli freeze well?

I haven't had any issues with it. If you want it crunchier when you reheat, try adding it in last so it doesn't cook as much on the first go-around.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Soups are great choices.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edena001 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a poor student so I try and make my meals in bulk and then freeze them. I'd like some ideas of foods, mainly revolving around chicken, that I could prepare and freeze.
    As weight loss preferably low cal.

As far as cheap and easy go, soup and rice & beans (with vegetables & meat) are good options. Both can be tailored to match your preferred calorie content and macros pretty well.

Soup: basically just throw beans and a bunch of whatever vegetables you can get cheap or have lying around into a large pot (slow cooker, stove top, pressure cooker, etc). Add meat (ham & chopped hot dogs, I find are better when added initially, rotisserie chicken I prefer to add at point of microwaving before eating).

cheap and easy meat sources: Rotisserie chickens are great. Check your local supermarkets... this is often a loss leader item that will usually be cheaper than buying a whole raw chicken or chicken breast (but usually more expensive that chicken thighs). Other quick meat options that work well in these are smoked ham quarters, and chopped up hot dogs (read the labels on these 2, fat and salt content vary widely amongst them).

Rice & beans (the fast way with extra vegetables to bulk it out to be less calorie dense): rice-> rice cooker; beans->pressure cooker; (lots of) veggies (collard greens and/or spinach, mixed veg,....), some oil, onions, mushrooms, meat, miscellaneous seasonings (usually sazon at the least) etc to large caldera - sautee all these things together, stir in beans, rice when they are done.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    E.G.:

oshk6kfnf04k.jpg

2x3nczodqu73.jpg

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Chili is a good option. You can do that with shredded chicken, ground beef, or even meatless. Easy to make, and easy to portion out and freeze.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    I have made egg muffins, which is basically scrambled eggs baked in muffin tins and frozen individually. You can add spinach and other veggies or meats with it just like you would regular scrambled eggs. I have also made quesadillas before. Basically you put the one tortilla down, fill with pre-cooked toppings of your choice, and then top it. I always froze it at this point at least a little, then wrapped it in plastic wrap followed by foil. To cook, just microwave until heated through! I recommend cutting the tortillas to the size you want them before filling them. These both are nice and easy meals.