Struggling with Couch to 5k

Options
I have started doing couch to 5k but am finding it really difficult! I have already done week 1 twice now and still don't feel ready for week 2 I still am really struggling to run for 60 seconds! Any tips?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Slow down, it doesn't matter if it is slower than your walking pace just slow it down.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above.
    I spent the first 2 weeks 'running' slower than I was walking, but the difference in motion really was not making it easy for me.
    You get used to it and find a rhythm that will work for you. And repeat the weeks as often as needed, that is what the app is for. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, run slower.

Can you walk for half an hour comfortably?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth, I have run an entire 10k and parts of half marathons and my running pace on the treadmill is around 4.8-5.2. (I can generally increase it during the run.) Outside its a little faster, perhaps 5.5 mph.

When running outside, to help me focus on my pace and not go too fast, I set my running app to announce my pace every 1/10th mile. Having it repeated to me so often, roughly every minute, helps me know I'm not overdoing it.
  • melonmoo91
    melonmoo91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My run is no faster than my walk at the moment!! I can comfortably walk for miles ive always walked alot! Im doing it in fields do you think it would be easier if i stopped running in the fields so the grounds flatter??
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    melonmoo91 wrote: »
    My run is no faster than my walk at the moment!! I can comfortably walk for miles ive always walked alot! Im doing it in fields do you think it would be easier if i stopped running in the fields so the grounds flatter??

Running is 90% mental, so some of it might be in your head?

Even ground may be helpful to start off with, yes.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

I might not be the popular vote on this idea, but maybe try something different... How about cutting your 60 second runs to 30-45 seconds?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    for some reason the time thing made it hard for me, so I altered the program for distance instead of time. instead of running for x number of seconds, I ran for a little bit further distance each time. I kept the pace very slow, and used that time to develop a good running style.

I can run 5 miles now.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

It's worth a try.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who have suggested to run slower. Also, running on dirt / grass will take a lot more out of you than running on roads / sidewalk / etc. They say it's better for your joints, but it tires me out and slows me way down, so I stick to hard surfaces with good running shoes.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, my first week I ran 15 minute miles whereas I can walk a 16 minute mile very easily.

Like @bcalvanese the time thing was hard for me, so I altered it. I'm only in week 5 but I'm now doing a 13 minute mile with ease. Which still seems slower than death!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started running and focused on increasing distance. After I was happy with distance and felt strong I worked on speed. After a while I realized that I just enjoy running so don't worry about speed anymore.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I did all the weeks multiple times. Probably not what you want to hear but it took me three years to build up to running a mile nonstop but within six months of that I was going ten miles, no walking. I did eventually switch from time to distance as well. That really helped mentally to tell myself if I go past that certain point it's the farthest I've gone. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'm a trail runner, so in perhaps biased. Running of road has significant other benefits but if you need the confidence boost then do some of your runs on a flatter surface.

If echo the pacing advice from others, if your struggling then slow down. You may feel slower than walking, but you're conditioning yourself. I recall my second trail HM, toughest race I've done, where my power hike was faster than some runners. Didn't diminish what either they, or I, were doing to climb that particular hill.

What if also suggest is that if you are completing the session, move on. No need to repeat weeks unless you really aren't getting there.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What is your running technique like? I found myself running in a walking fashion, e.g.: I put my heel down first and rolled my foot. Biiiiiiiiig mistake! Bounce on the ball of your foot.

And breathing: breathe slowly. In through your nose, out through your mouth.

But yes, run even more slowly: just a slow bounce, you should bounce up rather than forward. I would recommend you read some articles on running technique. Doing that really helped me.

Remember: it is mind over matter, which is why C25K is so good because it allows your mind to adjust at its own pace.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started with a pre-Week 1 routine of running 30 seconds, walk 4. That built up my endurance to the Week 1 schedule of run 1 minute, walk 4 minutes. I ran slowly on a flat surface and told myself that I had all the time in the world to complete my run. And I made myself move on to Week 2. I can't imagine how more challenging it would be to run through fields vs. a running path or trail. Good luck!