Losing after Thyroid Cancer

Options
Hello all! I am starting over ... again! I have had a hypothyroid since around my freshman year of Highschool and had my thyroid completely removed in March of 2017 due to Thyroid Cancer (pending RAI therapy in Sept). Since having it removed I have gained near 15lbs (so 15lbs in 1.5months) and I am working yet again to get fit. I would love to get some friends for support that are going through (or have gone through or have or had) thyroid problems or cancer. Good luck to all!

Replies

• KaiyoSensei
    KaiyoSensei Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! You got this
  • april_69xx
    april_69xx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. I have a Hyperactive Thyroid and have been on suppressants for about a year, then was taken off them while pregnant. I gained like 40 lbs, though I can't blame the meds for all of that LOL I think most of it was because I love food! Anyways, I go for blood work again in a couple of weeks to see what my levels are like. I hope I can stay off the pills and just keep an eye on it. There was some talk of me getting the radioactice iodine BUT I really don't want to do that..it sounds so so scary.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    april_69xx wrote: »
    Hey girl. I have a Hyperactive Thyroid and have been on suppressants for about a year, then was taken off them while pregnant. I gained like 40 lbs, though I can't blame the meds for all of that LOL I think most of it was because I love food! Anyways, I go for blood work again in a couple of weeks to see what my levels are like. I hope I can stay off the pills and just keep an eye on it. There was some talk of me getting the radioactice iodine BUT I really don't want to do that..it sounds so so scary.

I've only ever had an under-active thyroid, but I did read that the RAI can fix an overactive thyroid! I cannot blame you for being scared of the RAI. I haven't even had it yet and its stressing me the F out LOL! Not the treatment itself but the isolation from everyone. I have little kids and I have no idea how to be away from them for more than a weekend!