How do I stay on track when Ill be on a bus for 3 days?

Options
In 3 weeks I will be taking a cross country bus trip to visit a friend. I will be on a bus for 3 days. Most of that time will be travel. There are only a couple of stops that are 30 minutes or more. I am worried about how to stay on track when there will be no way to exercise, and the only food available will be fast food. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Pack food.

Fruits, containers of veggies, protein bars etc.

Not just "fat food" at fast food places...plan accordingly.

for example get a burger and a side salad instead of an extra large fry...

drink water not soda etc.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    There are healthier options even with fast food and many service stops have salads and fruit available, use the 30 mins to walk about and eat the food on the bus. Either way it's 3 days of your life it's not going to have a massive impact so don't worry about it too much. If you stick roughly to maintenance or below the only gain you will see will be a result of water retention.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Although a great addition, exercise is not critical to losing weight - what you eat and the calories they contain are the thing. Its ok to eat "fast food" - make sensible choices and stick to your calorie budget. Under the circumstances, I think you can cut yourself a bit of slack and endure the trip with as little self imposed stress as possible.

I hope you enjoy your time with your friend - thats a great event to look forward to!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Track your calories and eat under maintenance. That's all there is to it. Fast food has the benefit that it's easy to look up how many calories it has. If you want to eat clean every fast food joint out there has a (usually wilted) salad option with chicken where the dressing comes on the side. Deep breath, you got this. Remember that you need to not over eat literally for the rest of your life, and situations like this WILL come up. So use it as practice.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You will be limited in movement, so adjust your calories in accordingly. Fast food is easily doable, just research/plan ahead. Assuming you are going Greyhound or similar, you can look up where the bus stops are located to know what food options you will have.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I basically live on coffee, protein bars and apples when I have to do a multi day run in a truck at work for snow removal. Not exactly the best diet in the world, but given how temporary it is, I'm not concerned.
  • whisker1984
    whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not to be brash, but what do you think thin people do in these circumstances? As a lifelong binge eater, it's always easy to find reasons or occasions where I "deserve" to treat myself. But really what I'm doing is hurting myself emotionally and my health physically. Do you want to *hurt* yourself because of a bus trip? If not, make healthy choices, stay in your calorie allotment, and don't use this as an excuse, because there will ALWAYS be one ready at hand! <3<3<3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Don't overeat. Even if you have fast food, you can still stay within your calorie limits.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to travel all over the states when I was in choir in college. What I did was pack nuts, fruit, granola bars, stuff like that. Drink lots of water. And don't just eat when you're bored, but find something to take with you that you're interested in but haven't ever done. It's hard to stay on track, but it can be done. I've actually lost weight on a bus trip because I was careful. Not every time though, and I'm sure there were times I've gained. But keep your goals and your health in mind. You got this.
  • whisker1984
    whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    More concretely, here's my list of my personal favorite convenience store snacks to stay on track:
    - Whole fruit
    - Beef jerky
    - Almonds, cashews, and peanuts
    - Protein bars
    - Hard boiled eggs
    - String cheese
    - Meal replacement shakes

Many fast food restaurants have great options, too! You just have to start to look with different eyes. ;)