Craving sweets

Options
I have an insatiable desire for something sweet that has coconut in it...how have you been able to stave off the sweet tooth desire?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have a drawer at work dedicated to "treats" that fit into my calorie goals and each day I pick something that matches what I'm wanting (sweet, salty, chewy, etc). Some of the things in there now: spicy seaweed strips, fun-size bags of Skittles, peanut butter crackers, chocolate-coconut clusters, mini Larabars, 100-calorie bags of dry roasted almonds. I leave a buffer in my calories each day to be able to grab something.
  • Tiffany8620
    Tiffany8620 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My weakness is chocolate. I satisfy my cravings by eating a serving of milk chocolate chips. Don't completely deny yourself, just be aware of calories and serving size.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I allow myself something sweet everyday. I measure & log it. As long as I'm meeting protein & fat goals.....it's all good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/coconut-macaroons/

• GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If I really crave something I just wait it out. Eat a bit of coconut if I crave something sweet WITH coconut. If I still really want it after a couple of days I'll eat the actual thing. That has slowly helped me to a point where I don't really have 'unhealthy' (High calorie/low in nutrients) cravings anymore.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.

That said, here's a recipe for Chocolate Coconut macaroons. They aren't really macaroony, like the Skinny Taste recipe above, but they are yummy! I reduce the recipe to what my OH and I are going to eat, as I have no will power around them.

Don't skip the refrigeration step. While this is tempting to do, you won't get the best flavor if you skip it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228563/stovetop-chocolate-coconut-macaroons/
  • tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I allow myself something sweet everyday. I measure & log it. As long as I'm meeting protein & fat goals.....it's all good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/coconut-macaroons/

Thanks for the recipe

• tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.

That said, here's a recipe for Chocolate Coconut macaroons. They aren't really macaroony, like the Skinny Taste recipe above, but they are yummy! I reduce the recipe to what my OH and I are going to eat, as I have no will power around them.

Don't skip the refrigeration step. While this is tempting to do, you won't get the best flavor if you skip it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228563/stovetop-chocolate-coconut-macaroons/

Thanks!!
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    All of the above tips are awesome! Also...since I started Intermittent Fasting and cutting sugar and carbs as well...I have discovered a previously unknown love of steel cut outs! But here is where the craving buster comes in...I use unsweetened almond milk to cook it...and I add 5g of unsweetened cacao powder to the milk before I add the oats...then when the oats are cooked I add about 20g of dark roast organic, natural, peanut butter. It is amazing! I feel like it keeps me satisfied so I don't inhale a Reeses candy bar!! Good luck and hope it helps!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are, but if you're in Britain Tesco's do a small tub of coconut bits in the fruit section- it's lush! or make these - http://www.natalieshealth.com/2015/12/healthy-coconut-bites/

My way of getting round sweet cravings was to re-educate my brain into thinking certain fruits are sweets. So i now have dried mango (max of 6 pieces), chilled grapes, satsumas, mixed melon bits, coconut bits etc.

I'm slowly weening myself off the bane of my life: salt and vinegar crisps. I have salt and sweet popcorn instead (i eat 10g of popcorn instead of a whole bag of sliced tatties).

I also make fake icecream for when i want a proper dessert; like when a greek yog and honey just won't cut it (youtube/google banana icecream nana, pb and yogurt, maybe some honey) and blueberry bliss bars (coconut cream, blueberries, vanilla, honey).
    low sugar jelly is also a winner, love those.

If i really, really can't do without a proper sweet, i have a marshmallow or 2 (I quite often have 2 of these as dessert).
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oikos Greek Yogurt by Damon has toasted coconut that is delicious.

So Delicious ice cream you can try to fit in your goals. Made with coconut milk.

Trader Joe's has toasted coconut cashews. Yum! Fit into calorie goal.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    At first, I just didn't eat sweets but now that I have better (macro and calorie friendly) versions that I really enjoy, I actually eat more "sweets" than before I lost weight.

I don't really have any recipes for coconut but if I was craving it, I would probably just add coconut to some Greek yogurt.

...or maybe make a Greek yogurt based coconut cream pie with stevia.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I eat something sweet. I love Halo Top or Greek yogurt with cocoa powder, walden farms syrups and my protein flavor drops, or protein powder.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you're over your coconut craving by now. But for next time, I'd try coconut flavored gum or yogurt or yogurt made from coconut milk. Or a coconut popsicle. Or shaved coconut over banana. Sweet Drops also has a cocktail flavor, but I've tried adding it to tea and it's awful.

PS - I get cravings for very specific flavors once in a while, like cinammon, or mint. Not sure what sparks it.
  • jmolivia
    jmolivia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You could eat a coconut! I also make this sometimes.... lots of coconut oil, and NOT low-cal. You could put coconut flakes in it.... http://cookieandkate.com/2015/healthy-granola-recipe/
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I get ridiculous cravings at times. I just refuse to act on them anymore. I am dialing the resolve up to its max.

At first it really sucked .. but over time its getting better and not as strong.

I am refusing to let my cravings/body/stomach make the decisions anymore.