upping calories after injury?

I recently had an accident and was moderately injured. I have lots of stitches and muscle pain and feel very weak. I have been eating 1200-1300 calories, but since my injury, I am having a hard time eating because I have no apatite. I am exhausted constantly and my mind doesn't feel as quick and clear as usual. I have been told by friends to up my calorie intake, as my body is expending lots of energy trying to heal itself, which will hopefully help me gain some enegery. I was thinking of adding in some small, higher-calorie, healthy foods like avacado and aiming for a slightly higher calorie goal for a few weeks to help, but I don't want to hinder my progress. That being said, since my injury on Friday, I am down 5 lbs, which doesn't feel healthy to me, especially considering how dazed and foggy I feel. Any advice or insight?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Milkshakes with protein powder. You need to fuel your body for repair.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Eat at maintenance, and if you don't have much of an appetite, add in some nutrient-dense foods to get you there. Your body needs the calories to heal itself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance, and if you don't have much of an appetite, add in some nutrient-dense foods to get you there. Your body needs the calories to heal itself.

This ^^

Eating at a deficit while trying to heal will slow/prolong healing.
  • rybatace
    rybatace Posts: 5 Member
    Awesome. Thanks, guys. I'm staying with my mother while I recuperate, and she eats very healthfully, but much higher calories than I do. I think I will continue eating my normal lunches and breakfast, maybe add in some extra protein and then eat whatever she cooks, which is usually about 7-900 calories of low fat protein, veggies, and whole grains. This puts me just slightly below maintanence calories...I have some muscle damage, so I assume keeping my protein up is important.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Your body spends a lot of calories during the healing process. Good luck to you.
  • rybatace
    rybatace Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,507 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »

This ^^

Eating at a deficit while trying to heal will slow/prolong healing.

Yep. This. I tried eating at a small deficit after I broke my wrist. After six weeks in a cast they took x-rays and found that I had not healed AT ALL! Not a bit of change from the day I broke it. Your body needs fuel to heal. Best of luck to you!