best exercise to get rid of body fat

Options
wendyw8
wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
So I don't really want to lose weight I want to maintain, and also get rid of my baby belly and some body fat I have. I have not really had any success and I have been working out since the end of Feb, can anyone give me any tips or recommend any exercises?

Thanks!!

Replies

• TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Strength Training!!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of bleached flour and sugars? If so try cutting back on those and you may notice a difference. Also, if you've been working out since February have you switched up your routine at all? Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • RFEndemann
    Options
    Swimming, no question about it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Strength training!
  • katelee17
    katelee17 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey,

I'm a PT, but also a mum to a 3 year old and know what baby belly is like!

Try interval training/circuit training - this is a lot more effective than steady state cardio. Also add some resistance training, with light weights/body weight exercise. There is loads of info on the internet.

Other than that, try and eat regularly - every 3 hours ideally and cut out all processed/starchy foods, with very little grain based carbs. Or learn to earn your carbs by eating them on the day you exercise. Increase your lean protein/green veg and good fat. Also cut out sugar and limit alcohol, these severely mess up your metabolism :-)

Hope this helps
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    To tone- strength training
    To lose any fat- cardio + decreased cal diet
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back my exercise cals, but sometimes I have to cuz I get sooo hungry. I do eat alot of sugary stuff and I drink alot of my cals on the weekends. I usually just run on my treadmill and do some weights. I would love to do swimming but I am not a strong swimmer I can only doggie paddle and float (I actually just learned how to do those 2 things)lolol. I guess I could get my kids to teach me though!! Thanks for your comments!! I think I def do need to make better food choices, and do more strength training stuff!!!
  • scottppa
    scottppa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings have helped me a lot -- I seem to get a good cardio workout and lose fat with them. There's a learning curve in terms of doing them correctly, though. If you're looking for something new to try, most of the KB instructors I've met offer their first class free. You might want to look online at http://www.dragondoor.com/instructors/rkc_instructors/ or at http://www.punchgym.com/ to see if there are instructors in your area if it's something you'd want to try. BTW, I'm not a KB instructor nor do I work for either of these companies! LOL!:laugh:
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal. Diet makes a HUGE difference when losing weight. I don't know how many times I've seen people warn of alcohol sabotaging diets. If you're a beer drinker, try switching to diet soda and (insert favorite poison here)...

I'd also give some circuit training a shot, as it integrates cardio and weights and keeps your heart rate up. You said you usually run on the treadmill.. that may be a problem too if your body is just used to a usual trot on the treadmill. Try mixing it up with some high intensity interval training, which has shown to be more efficient at increasing metabolism, even after exercise.