Eating Healthy Vs. working out(burning calories).

Options
saundts
saundts Posts: 51 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I want to hear from either side, what is better for weight loss, what are some of your advices, typical goal and accomplishments for both. Further, input on people doing both Eating healthy and working out.
Share some pics, share some charts please!!!

Replies

• kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone is going to say diet because what you eat is like 80% of losing weight. Instead I'm going to say that personally, because I have a low calorie allotment and tend to eat out 3-4x a week, I make more progress with a daily combo of scheduled eating habits (certain times = certain meals or snacks) and 30-60 minute workouts that alternate between strength and cardio. Cardio is C25K currently, and Strength is BodyPump (overall workout).

What works for me might not work well for you. Understanding nutrition and making fitness goals will assist you in a successful weight loss.

Stats for reference: 5'2, female, SW 207.8#, CW 194.2#, GW 130#

Daily net calories: 1270 (until I hit 20# lost)
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "eating healthy", exactly? A calorie deficit is all that matters for weight loss. You can lose weight on a diet consisting solely of doughnuts and gummi worms if you wanted, and put on weight by filling up on healthy fruit smoothies.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cant out exersize a bad diet

Diets aren't good or bad (black or white) with no in between. And you can out-exercise some of the in between.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    saundts wrote: »
    I want to hear from either side, what is better for weight loss, what are some of your advices, typical goal and accomplishments for both. Further, input on people doing both Eating healthy and working out.
    Share some pics, share some charts please!!!

My advice is don't look at it as one or the other, do both. And know it's not eating "healthy" that makes you lose weight, it's eating the right amount to lose weight.

Accomplishment = burned almost 1,500 kCal on Sunday biking more than 40 miles.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will get you to lose weight. You can accomplish that by either eating less alone, working out alone, or a combination of both. I've personally found it's easier to lose weight by eating healthier rather than just eating the same and working out more. I feel the best when I eat healthy AND exercise. I think a combination of both is best, but everyone is different.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    When I'm sedentary my maintenance is about 1800. That means to lose 1lb a week of have to eat 1300 calories. I'd much rather eat 15-1600 and do a moderate amount of exercise to raise my tdee to 2100. For me, that's as simple as taking 10k steps in a day. Another vote for both since it's more humane on your calorie allotment haha
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

But it's also hard to "out diet" a sedentary lifestyle. ;)
    I disagree because I lost 40kg without doing any exercise whatsoever - purely clean eating. I may not have been fit and probably lost muscle too, but I did lose the weight. I wouldn't do it again though. This I'm not dieting and am doing cardio and strength training so it's a much slower but more enjoyable process.

• CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

But it's also hard to "out diet" a sedentary lifestyle. ;)

I did. Not saying that it is the healthiest road to take, but I lost 55 pounds with calorie restriction alone (followed what it said on her for daily calories). Now, I am adding exercise for the last month, about 30 minutes elliptical 5-6 days per week, and I have actually gained weight. What happened? I ate more. :) Working out makes me hungrier.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    saundts wrote: »

Do whatever it takes to accomplish CI<CO.

On some occasions I have lost some weight by increasing my CO.
    On some occasions I have lost some weight by decreasing my CI.

This most recent time I did both.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Both.

Sort of.

To lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you burn - or burn more calories than you consume.

"Eating healthy" means different things to different people. If "eating healthy" is a thing that helps you lower your calorie intake, it will help you lose weight. Increasing my vegetable intake tended to help reduce my overall calorie intake. Snacking on an apple and cheese instead of crackers tends to reduce my overall calorie intake. But replacing diet soda with fruit juice or smoothies or some other caloric drink because you think diet soda is unhealthy won't help you lose weight. And portion size matters. Nuts and avocados are healthy, but they're very calorie dense and large portions of them will tend to make it hard to lose weight (unless you're very active).

"Working out" also means different things to different people. I think that it's more important to be physically active as much as possible throughout the day rather than necessarily having to "work out" at the gym. Working out at the gym is great if you enjoy it, but there are many ways to increase your daily physical activity and therefore calorie burn. And increased physical activity allows you more flexibility on the eating side. If you want to eat out much, you're probably going to need physical activity to offset that - but you're also going to need to make smart choices and get as informed as possible about calorie content of restaurant food.

Technically, it's possible to lose weight by only cutting calories and it's possible to lose weight by only increasing physical activity - but it's a whole lot easier to do it with a little bit of each.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    For weight loss alone, deficit and thus controlling calories in will win every time for those that can easily do it. For many of us, eating less for long periods isn't always easy, and exercise to burn calories often comes into the picture. Even if body composition isn't a concern, some people simply find it easier to exercise and watch what they eat rather than just watch what they eat enough to create a deficit.

I think if I ever had serious injury limiting activity and exercise I would personally find it hard to just eat less for long periods, even though in theory it would be the "easiest" way to lose weight.

In my case I enjoy working out to some degree, so the combination of both works best.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It's really dependent on your own situation. I feel ill often, so right now I'm having trouble sticking to a workout routine because I feel too sick or am in too much pain to work out (even though I enjoy exercise). Calorie control is a 'foolproof' method to lose weight. It just depends if you'd rather be hungry or active (!) I do think that it is difficult to completely compensate for a high-calorie diet with exercise, though.