Evening workout- how should I use the cals bur ed?

Options
Hello,
I am new to MFP and am still trying to get my head around macros so I do apologise if this question has been asked 1,000 times.

The only time I can get to the gym to workout is at 8pm 3 times a week. I usually go for an hour and have already eaten dinner.
What do I do with the calories i have burned as I do not like eating past 7pm?

Is it ok to not eat anything else and have macros/calories left or should I use them the next day?
I am trying to lose weight for my wedding in September and am worried about eating too little ( if that's actually a thing).

Any advise would be greatfully appreciated.

Fiona x

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Meal timing isn't really significant as long as you're fueling your training.

If you know roughly what you're likely to burn at the gym then account for it earlier in the day.

Personally I look over a longer period, recognising that day to day fluctuations in intake and output will happen. So looking at a weekly total, rather than daily.

And yes, eating too little for a sustained period can lead to health issues.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You know you are going to be burning those calories so eat them in advance at a time of day that suits your schedule.
    I frequently get thrown out of the gym at 10pm, at most I might have a light snack afterwards but really just rehydrating before bedtime (if required).

A weekly view of your calorie allowance is also fine and gives more flexibility. I find having flexibility helps adherence.

Eating "too little" isn't the idea - eating the right amount is where good overall results happen.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You know you are going to be burning those calories so eat them in advance at a time of day that suits your schedule.
    I frequently get thrown out of the gym at 10pm, at most I might have a light snack afterwards but really just rehydrating before bedtime (if required).

A weekly view of your calorie allowance is also fine and gives more flexibility. I find having flexibility helps adherence.

Eating "too little" isn't the idea - eating the right amount is where good overall results happen.

Agreed with the eating them in advance if you know roughly how much you'll be burning. If not, and you're not hungry after your workout (maybe try and get something in though, a small snack or a shake) then you could save them for breakfast. I know it doesn't look great with your logging the next day but your body doesn't know that.
  • fiona_fat_to_fit
    fiona_fat_to_fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice, like I said I'm very new to this and have previously had the "I'll just have a lettuce thanks" attitude to dieting, getting really down when I am not seeing any results.

I will give it a go.

Thank you again xx
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you are burning and how much of a deficit you are in. You might find yourself more hungry the morning after and can add calories there if necessary.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories back. As long as you are full and getting the nutrients your body needs I wouldn't sweat it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Yep. Another way of doing it - especially if you find you're not particularly hungry after? Log your exercise first thing next morning and eat those Cals that day. As in, exercise on Thursday night, log Friday morning, eat extra Cals Friday.